Photo
- - - - -

Got a dive light with UV and Blue light - does it work?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

Recently bought a Krakken 3500 dive light.  It has a setting where some blue and some ultraviolet LEDs come on for night diving.  I'm intrigued, but have no experience.   I read that you need to use yellow filters (both mask and camera) to really make it work well.   I'm wondering if just playing with the white balance on the camera might eliminate the need for a filter.  Also wondering where one gets a yellow filter for the mask.

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:53 AM

I have a pair of Archon lights which are similar in that regard. Shooting raw, I was able to play with the color wheel in Capture One to get some results, but they weren't particularly impressive -

3dlxpNt.jpg

spc54Wu.jpg

With a yellow filter on the lens (inside a dome) it was a little bit better but not by much -

sKCKYpS.jpg

The very limited amount of light ends up requiring very long exposures (to the order of 1/2-1/5s) at very high ISO values (I was using auto ISO, it never went below the set ceiling of 12800). Next time I do it, I'll try using a macro lens. and concentrating the light.

For mask filter, I'm using this - cheap but it works. Note that if you have other divers in the water using regular white lights, they will drown out all the fluorescence.