• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BurBunny

BurBunny

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Anything in, on or under water! Travel agent.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

I normally shoot a Canon DLSR with dual arms and strobes.  However, sometimes I want a more simple rig when diving for fun or travel and photography isn't the primary objective.  To this end, am housing my Sony MX-100 to go with my GoPro, shooting ambient or with a video light.

Looking for opinions on mounting the GoPro via cold shoe immediately above camera or on arm. Am thinking I'd prefer the options available on an arm, plus the balance, but would like input.

Also, haven't seen any mounts which are designed for ULCS arms.  Any help with that?

-Amber

-Amber

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hi,
think i have seen a Gopro ball mount, so connecting it with an arm should be no problem.

What about a tray where you can mount them next to each other?
Makes handling during a video scene easier, i would think, than an arm outside the middle...

Regards,
Wolfgang

#3 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

There's also the option of an adhesive mount to the top of your dome shade (assuming your dome has one). This has worked for me in the past and was easy to frame the video. I would just worry that positioning it farther behind the dome on the cold shoe mount would cause the top of the dome to enter the frame. Maybe others have used their Go Pro's this way and it's not a problem.

#4 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

There is a 1" ball mount from ULCS and maybe others. I use an ULCS AC-NB to mount the GoPro off a handle and use the cold shoe for a focus/video light. 

#5 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

If you can 3d print or know someone who can, there are files available on thingverse for 1" go-pro ball mounts. I printed one last week and tried it out yesterday (Sunday). I used the macro port mount on my Nauticam and it worked great.

I also tried a helmet strap mount and it was also great. I added a chin strap for extra security.

#6 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Photography, Sailing, Snowboarding, Travel, Red Wine, Cooking

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

On my 60mm Macro Port (Nauticam) there is a Cold Shoe (looks like a Hot Shoe flash cradle) that I mount my Go Pro on while shooting Macro..

So on dives where I am shooting Stills, I can easily turn on the Go Pro quickly when the Pygmy Octopus Riding the Juvenile Whale Shark inevitably swims by.

You can buy a COLD SHOE and epoxy it to anything you want to mount your Go Pro to....

-Scoobz

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I had the goPro mounted on the ball mount tread in the center of the housing (Hugyfot has no cold shoe).
This worked fine with the Hugyfot Minidome and i prefer this position as i know where the GoPro is pointing to.

Using a long flat port or a big (wet lens) dome it may be visible to the GoPro, in this case either a arm or a solution to mount on the port will be necessary.

The other solution will be a GoPro ball mount, a coldshoe ball mount and one of the long clamps,
using the long clamp you can move the GoPro further foreward than without or with a normal short clamp.

I don't buy anymore normal "short" clamps as the longer ones are much more flexible and if using thick floats twin arms can be folded together.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 06 April 2018 - 08:10 AM.

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website