• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Are the 120 degrees advertised on air or in water? If its on air then they are narrower in water and closer to 90 degrees

#42 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Are the 120 degrees advertised on air or in water? If its on air then they are narrower in water and closer to 90 degrees

As the front of the lights are domed, they are probably still 120-110’ underwater as you won’t be affected by refraction compared to them being behind a flat port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Printed Parts

#43 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:40 AM

As the front of the lights are domed, they are probably still 120-110’ underwater as you won’t be affected by refraction compared to them being behind a flat port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt notice the "dome" front glass Richard

#44 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:42 AM

A flat port version would be epic - and would be 90' underwater (I would hope)

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

#45 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

I have the Archon DM60, which has the flat port, how can you tell it's 90 or 110 degree. The light beam seems quite spread when I use it.

#46 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

I have the Archon DM60, which has the flat port, how can you tell it's 90 or 110 degree. The light beam seems quite spread when I use it.

From my very basis understanding, you want a dome port to counteract the refraction of the water to provide the same beam angle as above the water, so I would presume the reverse is also true for your flat ported DM60. Its 110 in air and 82.5' in water.

https://www.lightand...ome-port-optic/

Regards, Richard

---

#47 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Richard, that make sense. Too bad I haven't had the chance to do a night dive with the DM60 yet, otherwise I will be able to gauge how wide the light beam is.

What kind of working distance are we talking about with these 12000 lumen cob light when use during the day, say on a sunny day at 90ft? My experience so far is no more than 2-3 ft from the subject.

#48 scott leeson

scott leeson

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:35 AM

i have 2 of these lights that are brand new, unfortunately ive not got any diving ahead of me....very upsetting

#49 simon bomholt

simon bomholt

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:12 AM

i am in the market for some lights.. it is both for macro and also wideangle, so must be able to adjust.

What is the go for lamps.. these, keldans or weefine??

#50 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:53 AM

Simon, I have the V4K Pros and find that they are too powerful and bulky for macro. I use a pair of Black Molly 3's for macro since they are much more compact and offer ample lighting for video.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#51 Placebo365

Placebo365

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hi folks, not sure if I should have started a new thread but decided to jump on this one as there are a lot of good suggestions for video lights.  I'm also looking to fork out for one (possibly two) video lights.  I reckon its the best thing I can do to improve my video until (hopefully) going FF later this year.  The SUPE/Scubalamp V6K pro look great so I'm swaying towards them.  I might drop Dreifish a PM to see if he has any left.

I'm in Thailand and there seems to be a new kid on the block: X-Adventurer M6000-WRBT.  It's 6000 lumens, scores 90 CRI, 110 degree flood, and seems very adjustable.  Just wondered if anyone has had experience of them?  They are a bit cheaper than the VK6's but not a whole lot given the VK's are more powerful.  Not too many youtube video's available for M6000's so difficult to decide.

I'm no expert in video lights (given I'm presently using one Mares EOSrz12 I found on a reef!) so any advice is appreciated.

http://www.xadventur...t&product_id=90

Love the sea, leave no trace, I am a hippy from outer space.

#52 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now….

#53 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now….

Did they mention a price for these?

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#54 Placebo365

Placebo365

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now.

Hi TaxiDiver. Happy new year! I'd also be interested in the price. Is the 90 degrees preferable to 120? Is that so the light is less scattered? Sorry for the Newb question but only ever worked with 1 basic video light and looking to up my game. Thanks.

Love the sea, leave no trace, I am a hippy from outer space.

#55 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:23 AM

I d be interested too if the price is ok for me

#56 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:38 AM

I do have a couple more V6Ks around :) In fact, I have 2 lightly used ones that I'd let go for $400 each, in their original box w/ accessories. 

Personally, I think the 6000 lumen lights are kind of a waste. They're not really powerful enough for daytime wide angle video (in tropical waters) and too powerful for macro-only lights. If you do a lot of wide angle shooting, you're probably better off saving up for some slightly more powerful model.

Scubalamp now makes the V9K and V12Ks, which are 18000 lumens and 24000 lumens respectively. They run about twice the price of the V6Ks though and still have a dome front element, so 120* beam angle.

Another interesting option is the new Jaunt G18 Plus light advertised at 18000 lumens. I'm hopefully going to test one out this trip and let you guys know how accurate that rating is. Size wise, it seems quite nice, with the added bonus that it has a flat front element, so should be a narrower beam. Priced over $1000 though. 

Flat vs domed front elements -- 90* vs 120* beam angle basically. I think the choice comes down to what lens you're shooting with normally. With rectilinear lenses, I think 2 (or more) 90* lights will provide the best illumination and allow you to shape the light to avoid backscatter easier than the 120*. But if you commonly find yourself filming with a fish-eye, then the 120* beams are a better bet. You might still need 3 of them though to fully cover a 180* fish-eye field of view. 

#57 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:49 AM

Those Jaunt G18 - look great! Great size too.

The V6K would be pretty stellar with a flat port option too, its shame its a sealed unit so we can't replace the dome with a flat port.

Agreed 120 v 90. I personally would prefer a couple of 90's instead of the 120 I have now.

I see Jaunt do ($$$$) a 30,000lm light also, a little warmer at 5000k and only CRI90, but 98' in water - crikey 30,000lm!!!!

Edited by thetrickster, 02 January 2019 - 05:57 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

#58 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Did they mention a price for these?

Same market Price than normal VK6PRO...

#59 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hi TaxiDiver. Happy new year! I'd also be interested in the price. Is the 90 degrees preferable to 120? Is that so the light is less scattered? Sorry for the Newb question but only ever worked with 1 basic video light and looking to up my game. Thanks.

I would use 120 degrees with FF lenses from 8 to 16mm and 90 degrees for FF lenses from 18 to 24mm...

I d be interested too if the price is ok for me

Price same as VK6PRO.... 898US.

#60 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

I talked to Scubalamp and they can produce VK6PRO 12000lumens at 90 degrees if we do a minimun order of 10 units. I woul be interested in 2 units by now.

I would take 2 as well!
What would the price be?
Oh I just realised the whole light head has to be replaced so it wont come cheap. For the price of a new set of lights I would rather pass tbh.
If we could send them in and have just the glass replaced somehow thereby cutting down on the cost Id be very interested.

Edited by Pajjpen, 08 January 2019 - 12:48 PM.