#1 scipionems

scipionems

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Diving and sea

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hi to all,

I am using by a month the Nauticam Gh5 and i have the opportunity to use the Nauticam Mini Flash Trigger #26309 specific for the Gh5 instead of use the Panasonic internal strobe DMW-FL70.

Using this Led Mini Flash Trigger from Nauticam, it is possible to overcome the synchro speed Limit of 1/250..... 

There is only one problem using this Nauticam Led Mini Flash trigger and it is that it works only using fiber optic cables MULTICORE.... 

Using my old fiber optic cables SINGLE core, the external Strobes INON Z240 don't fire.

Here you can see some pictures made in Red Sea using the Gh5 in Nauticam housing with this Mini Flash Trigger.

https://www.flickr.c...157665742167789

Scipionems

#2 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Hi,

You say it is possible to overcome the minimum sync. speed of 1/250 by using the LED trigger. How short can the sync. speed be at the minimum?

Do you know whether this will it work with other cameras as well (e.g. OMD EM5II)?

Wolfgang

#3 scipionems

scipionems

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Diving and sea

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hi,

You say it is possible to overcome the minimum sync. speed of 1/250 by using the LED trigger. How short can the sync. speed be at the minimum?

Do you know whether this will it work with other cameras as well (e.g. OMD EM5II)?

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang, 

yes it is possible to overcome the minimum sync speed of 1/250 using this led trigger on my Gh5... I shot several pictures at 1/320, 1/400 1/500 ... look at the link on Flickr and you will see the data on the pictures....

Honestly I don't know if this is possible using other kind of Led Trigger for other kind of cameras (like the OLYMPUS EM5).... 

Scipionems

#4 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

On Olympus you can not over come the 1/250th sync. speed and my flash trigger works fine with single fiber cables. The problem is with the cables not the flash trigger most likely.

#5 boletus

boletus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

Omg... Phil are you sure?? My nauticam dealer say that with my oly em1mk2 its possible to overcome 1/250.... 😓😓😓 if isnt possible I dont think to buy it.... 🤔🤔

#6 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Sync speed is normally an electro-mechanical limitation of the camera shutter.  You have two curtains, the first opens then the second follows it to close the shutter.  At faster shutter speeds the second curtain starts moving before the first is fully open so there is no time at which the shutter is fully open.   The flash is timed to fire immediately the first curtain is open or just before the second curtain starts to move(second curtain sync).   The sync speed is the fastest shutter speed at which the first curtain fully opens before the second curtain starts to move.  At higher shutter speeds, theshutter forms a moving band running down the height of the image.

That's for a DSLR.  Mirrorless cameras also have a mechanical shutter and an electronic shutter.  In theory if you could set the camera to use only the electronic shutter then it may be possible to achieve a faster sync speed.  For example in silent shooting mode only the electronic shutter is used, but playing with my EM-1 MkII, silent mode sets the maximum flash sync to 1/50 in silent mode and in manual mode with flash on it won't set a shutter speed faster than 1/250, so it's locked out to even try and use 1/320 in firmware if the camera detects a flash.

#7 echo2600

echo2600

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

On my EM-5, with the Nauticam mini flash trigger, the strobes will fire at shutter speeds faster than 1/250, but at 1/400, and faster, the top of the image frame is obscured shutter... 1/320 seems to work just fine. YMMV....

#8 rlamarche

rlamarche

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:31 AM

About the triggering problem, I've been told that the problem is that the optic fiber is too thin. It does not work with my old fiber cable.

So I've just ordered a 1,5mm fiber optic cable. I had the opportunity to try it yesterday and it was working.

I'll tell you more when I'll have received it, this week if everything goes fine.

#9 rlamarche

rlamarche

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

Hi,

The fiber I've ordered works well with the nauticam flash trigger and Inon D2000 / Z240

Here the fiber I ordered : http://www.plongimag...ur-hugyfot.html