12 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

I notice two tank boat trip crew seem to think we want cold drinks in the time between dives.  That may be true in hot summer destinations but not all places all the time.

Just finished a trip with 78F water and strong cool breezes.  The divers really wanted warm drinks but ice water was what was always served.

Anyone else notice this tendency?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:29 AM

If u want warm water.. just tell the crew before..... If they have.. great...

#3 Randolph Sanchez

Randolph Sanchez

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

I notice two tank boat trip crew seem to think we want cold drinks in the time between dives.  That may be true in hot summer destinations but not all places all the time.

Just finished a trip with 78F water and strong cool breezes.  The divers really wanted warm drinks but ice water was what was always served.

Anyone else notice this tendency?

I always like a hot cup of coffee after a dive to warm up.

Edited by Randolph Sanchez, 11 March 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#4 Jeanpaul

Jeanpaul

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:07 PM

I want to drink Coke after a dive during summer

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:50 AM

Tropical diving: gin and tonic, please. Ice, slice of lemon, preferably Tanqueray Gin......  :mocking:

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

In Indonesia, we were diving cool waters, so I asked for double hot chocolates. Then I hopped in a hot shower.

#7 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:26 AM

The main point of consuming liquids between dives is to stay hydrated. The air in the tank is very drive taking promoting dehydration. See http://www.daneurope...safety-campaign.

I only dive in warm climes but can appreciate a warm drink in cooler ones would be appreciated but I can see it is not always practical on a dive boat. There are also the safety issues of hot drinks on a moving boat. Ever notice airlines don't serve coffee of tea when the seat belt sign is on?

#8 ReillyF

ReillyF

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

Hot drinks are a staple in most cold water areas. Try bringing a thermos of coffee.

#9 pbalves

pbalves

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Or a cup of tea

#10 BDKulick

BDKulick

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

As it is imperative to stay hydrated while diving, (and to be well hydrated before beginning the first dive of the day), I’ll do whatever I can to drink as much as I can throughout the day. When diving from my own boat or with local friends and commercial operators on hot days, I bring along a pair of 2 liter bottles of ice. As they melt, they’re a source of cold water, and I can top them off as needed from a water jug or cooler. This allows me to avoid using the single serving disposable plastic bottles that are frequently supplied by some local operators. On cooler days or when diving in cold water, I’ll bring along one bottle of ice and a big thermos of tea, chocolate, or broth. Thus I tend to drink a lot each day, and don’t worry about my suits getting overly odiferous as my dry suits have pee valves, and my wet suits have relief zips.

Life is short. Drink the good wine first.

#11 Rapicsio

Rapicsio

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

I prefer cola. And some beer sometimes.

#12 AttainMedia

AttainMedia

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

When I dove Fiji they offered Hot Chocolate and Water every day, Even tho it was warm water diving. 

#13 warren72

warren72

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thermos of hot black coffee works great