6 replies to this topic

#1 mcleamj

mcleamj

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:24 AM

Greetings,

I am seeking high-quality photos of small pelagic fishes such as herring, sprat, sardine, mackerel (ideally Atlantic species) to submit as a potential cover photo for a scientific publication. The best photo would be a bait ball or fish school. 

I am a research scientist and recently had a scientific article accepted for publication in a journal that does really nice cover photos and they asked me to submit photo ideas. Not being a photographer myself, I am searching for people who may be interested. If I can find and submit a nice photo which is chosen for the cover, the photo would be published and widely circulated and the author would receive full credit. 

Thanks much if anyone is interested!

Cheers

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:41 AM

Which journal?
Portrait or Landscape format?
Resolution or dpi required?
Any geographical conditions?

#3 mcleamj

mcleamj

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

The journal is Current Biology. Portrait format. Below are some examples of their previous covers.

I am not yet certain about the resolution. For the moment they just ask for low-res PDFs showing a proposed cover layout. I imagine if accepted, they would require decent res. 

My study is in the North Atlantic and involves small pelagic fishes, but a great photo from a different region, e.g., Pacific sardines would likely work.

Thanks very much!

CqevvkzWIAA8F4s.jpg

Df-6VtJWsAEQUKp.jpg

Edited by mcleamj, 28 September 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

Something like this? Scad ball in Bonaire.

P8310158_sm.jpg

#5 seansrs968

seansrs968

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

So you are basically looking for free content for your magazine. This is why no one can make money in photography anymore. Everyone wants something for free!!

Greetings,

I am seeking high-quality photos of small pelagic fishes such as herring, sprat, sardine, mackerel (ideally Atlantic species) to submit as a potential cover photo for a scientific publication. The best photo would be a bait ball or fish school. 

I am a research scientist and recently had a scientific article accepted for publication in a journal that does really nice cover photos and they asked me to submit photo ideas. Not being a photographer myself, I am searching for people who may be interested. If I can find and submit a nice photo which is chosen for the cover, the photo would be published and widely circulated and the author would receive full credit. 

Thanks much if anyone is interested!

Cheers

#6 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:41 AM

So you are basically looking for free content for your magazine. This is why no one can make money in photography anymore. Everyone wants something for free!!

I guess you are probably not aware that most research scientists actually pay to have their research papers published. I don't know the policies of the Current Biology journal, but "page charges" are pretty common.

#7 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1906 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

I am pretty sure that the OP is not the owner of Current Biology so he is not asking for himself. As far as I know Current Biology is owned by the Cell group and there is likely a $5400 or so fee to get your paper published. This is not a dive magazine but rather a quite well respected science journal (Congratulations on getting published here) that happens to put pretty interesting photos on the cover. This is not the  case of a dive magazine wanting free stuff and also your photo will likely not be seen by most of your friends.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net