Photo
- - - - -

Lightweight Carry On Options for large mirror less housing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:18 AM

I have a LowerPro backpack that was fitting just fine my small mirror less housing.

I now have a Panasonic GH5 with a Nauticam housing and this is taller plus it comes with integrated handles that make it too tall for the lowerpro bag

I have therefore got one of this backpacks that measures 55x40x20 and expands to 25 if needed

https://cabinmax.com...0505761696.html

that are practically empty inside with the idea of fitting the bag that comes with the housing plus get another set of inserts for ports lenses etc. Obviously the whole set up would struggle with a large dome but I only have a small dome and a 6" wide angle port 

The nauticam case takes almost half of the back pack but I still have space to I thought of getting one of those to fill in the rest

https://www.vanguard...der-bag-37.html

The positive is that the bag with the insert weights much less than the LowePro

I wonder if anyone has different solutions that minimise weight but provide maximum space?

I will post some pictures of the set up once one of my last bits arrives

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

I’ve just gone through exactly the same issue for my trip in 3 weeks.

My ThinkTank Security Roller is just too big, too heavy and not useful with the tight rules of the airlines these days. Looked at camera backpacks but they are deep enough for my Atomos housing.

I too looked at the MaxCabin bags, but read reviews to say the stitching wasn’t great - so with 10-15kg of stuff, I decided (for me) that it wasn’t the way to go if the straps start going, but volume and weight of these things look great!

So... off my wife I got her old IT Luggage 2 wheel softsided roller, which weighs nothing, looks cheap (it probably was) and it’s got a rather feaching owl print LOL. But it’s 50x40x20 so going cheap, and using bubble wrap for the housings - everything fits.

Days of Pelicase and ThinkTank are over on most airlines it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#3 JMartel

JMartel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

You could use an insulated cooler bag. Also doubles as a personal rinse tank while you are diving. I just did that for my trip to Mexico this summer. Waterproof, padded, but it's only one large compartment, so you might want to wrap individual ports and stuff with clothes to protect them in the bag.

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:13 AM

The coolers I can find are too small around 30 liters
This is the solution I have built
[attachment=45164:IMG_1121.JPG]
It consists of a cabin max upsala bag 55x40x20 expanding to 25 cm
The Nauticam bag that came with the GH5 housing
A vanguard divider bag 37
It weights a little bit less than a lightweight trolley at 2.6kg but it is already padded and ready to go
9ab1c070d9ff44b42699aa39b683463d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121, 13 October 2018 - 01:14 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog