• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zebulen

zebulen

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Wondering what insurance companies people are using for flood insurance. Any bad stories or good stories.
Thanks,

Zeb

#2 eric black

eric black

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

I think mine is H2oinsurance through DAN. Covers floods with a $250 deductible and loss if the airlines lose the stuff. Doesnt cover loss while in my posession though- ie dropping to the bottom of an abyss while on a dive or having the camera swept overboard on a trip. Its about the best I was able to find- no claims filed to date though so I cant comment on that. Im paying about $400 annual for $15,000 worth of gear.

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Zeb: See the pinned topic about this subject. Lots of good info and experience shared there.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Dunadin

Dunadin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

I have the DAN insurance. Never had to use it (knock on wood), but after trying a couple combinations, I figured that their rate is roughly 3% of the insured value per year. DEPP is the other major player.

Sergio Lucato
Canon 50D, Ikelite Housing, 2xDS-160

#5 kitty

kitty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

1) there is a separate thread relating to this issue already on this website somewhere;

2) call your State Farm agent and ask for a "Personal Articles Policy." It covers ALL hazards, say you drop it in the Grand Canyon, drop it in on your tile floor in your house and break it, or the friendly but hung-over DM handing down your camera housing to you in the water drops it......etc.

You will need to give them the serial number of there is one, and price, but receipts were not necessary. you just cover what equipment you want. In case you loose your housing and camera on a dive, think about the price of the ports, port extensions, viewfinders, cords, in addition to the camera and housing. it can add up. ;)

good luck.!

#6 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

I had my State Farm insurance agent add a Personal Articles Policy to my existing general insurance plan. For a mere US$30 per year my UW camera equipment is covered regardless of the circumstance, eg, flooding, theft, etc.

#7 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

$30??? Crap, My PAP cost me about $100 per year...maybe I was too detailed in my item listing. (Mostly used, but I wanted full replacement value.) Still, there are essentially no limitations on claims...haven't had to use it to prove out the promise though, so YMMV.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#8 bversteegh

bversteegh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Diving, woodworking, computers, reading, racquetball

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

$30??? Crap, My PAP cost me about $100 per year...maybe I was too detailed in my item listing. (Mostly used, but I wanted full replacement value.) Still, there are essentially no limitations on claims...haven't had to use it to prove out the promise though, so YMMV.

I also have a state farm PAP on about 10K of equipment - costs 100/yr. Unfortunately, I had to use it this summer when I had a flood on my 40D. I had to send the camera, housing, and lens in to get in writing whether they were repairable or not (and in the case of the housing, whether there was a defect in the housing that caused the flood).

After all that, I got a check for the insured value of the camera and lens (that were well and truly dead - salt water and cameras don't mix :P ), and they also paid the cost to refurb my Sea & Sea housing. So I am a believer in the PAP policies - no deductible either.

Canon 70D in Nauticam Housing, Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, Canon 60 & 100 mm macro, 3 Inon 240's, Olympus PM-1 in Oly Housing
http://www.flickr.co...tos/bversteegh/

#9 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

Bruce - the new system flooded? Bummer to hear about that. That used Ike cable I bought off of you worked fine. I wish I could say the same about my photo skills as a first timer. :)

Sorry for your loss - glad to hear the insurance works when actually 'used' though. Not that you threw yourself under the saltwater bus to give us a data point, but it's appreciated nonetheless. :P

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...