11 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi all,

What's depth rating for Nauticam mirrorless ports?

I found different data trough several dealers but not a spec on the Nauticam web site.

I read that the 4,33" dome is 100m depth rating while 6" dome is only 75m. On other site I read 60m.

What's the truth?

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

Yawnnnn

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

Nobody replied here and Nauticam.com it's two months whaich has an error on their contact form.

Nice

#4 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

I can't speak for Nauticam, but I suspect no one replied because no one had an answer?  My working assumption (unless cautioned otherwise for a specific port)  is that the ports are rated to the same depth as the housing, unless perhaps you get one of their "deep rated" special order housings.

It would not surprise me if the larger glass domes have a shallower rating than a smaller acrylic port.  

Since I don't dive to 60m, let alone 100m, I guess I have never given this much thought.

Edit to add...This might be of interest to you:

Edited by Draq, 20 November 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#5 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

David - have you checked with Chris Parsons or your Italy Rep (admin@digital-mediaservice.com)?

Edited by ScubaBob, 20 November 2014 - 06:59 PM.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#6 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

Actually I dove to 100+m several times and I was trying to understand if I was just a lucky boy or I can continue :)

As you suggested, it depends on the port type. After months finally Naticam officially replied me:

We do have different depth rating on different ports, generally for macro ports, the depth rating can reach 100 meter, but for wide angle dome port, depth rating varies depending on the size of the dome port where pressure work on.  With the 7-14mm lens, it is safe to stay in 75 meter.

So given that 7-14mm and 6" dome is my usual combo, I was lucky...

davide@mobile

#7 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

Good to know for deep divers ! Thank you, Davide.

Edited by FanchGadjo, 24 November 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#8 p.inno

p.inno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:03 AM

Oh dear! This old but very helpful post from Davide, that I read only yesterday, completely distroyed my plans. :wacko:

I have a gx80 that I have been so far using for out of the water stills, and recently I have been thinking about getting a Nauticam housing with the 6' port for the Pana 7-14 to start using the cam also under water, in order to update my Intova action cam rig.

I thought the port would have supported the 100 meters, hence with a bit of luck it would have resisted even a bit further down.

Now, the fact it is instead given for 75 meters significantly affects this plan.

The idea of spending at least a couple of thousand euros for housing and port and then having to either rely on "luck" during the best dives or leaving the new rig at home for using the old acton cam, are both not very attractive...

I would then ask if anyone has any advice about, and Davide in particular if he has found a different solution for his wide angle shooting (asking him directly an update on the state of his luck in the last 4 years would not be very nice...  :) )

Thanks!

Paolo

#9 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:31 AM

I dont think you ll have a problem with 100m Paolo ;) Nauticam makes special order housings for even deeper than that.

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

Ive taken my GH5, 35mm port and WWL-1 to past 100m (to which they are all rated) so thats one option for deep wide angle - the WWL-1 and flat port.

Bit more expensive, but at least rated to those depths.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#11 p.inno

p.inno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

Ops...thank you!

Actually the Nauticam official site now indicates 100 meters also for the 6'' dome port. I should have checked it, given the time elapsed from the starting of the topic.

The WWL-1 is expensive, but must be really great solution for the flexibility allowed

#12 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:05 AM

Hi Paolo,

I've been using a new 6" dome port (7-14mm) now rated 100m. It seems to me exactly identical to the old one rated 75m. So I don't know.

Anyway... I used it several times up to 120m and everything it's still ok  :B):

Bye