150 replies to this topic

#141 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:59 AM

Hi newboy

A firmware update for the Retra Flash is in the making and we expect it to be ready at the end of the year. Once we have it available we will notify everyone about the possibility of upgrading the firmware. 

Because the update requires sending the strobe to us we want to make sure it will work as expected and that's why it will take more time to confirm.

Thank you

www.retra-uwt.com

#142 unregistered

unregistered

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Looking for someone to hopefully be able to confirm that my Retra strobes will work with the TURTLE TTL on a Sony A7 III in a Nauticam housing! Optical connection to be used.

Edited by unregistered, 27 July 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#143 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2118 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

Hi Oscar can you give us a summary of the intended features in the update?  Also, are we clear to use the external battery packs at this time?

I think the flashes are great, and I am getting better lighting than ever on my shots.  It is one of the best gear upgrades I have done.

Can you  post any tips for using the  LSD?  I find it very hard to coordinate holding the camera and manipulating the light to the correct position, and I don't have a buddy to hold and point the flash.

Thanks!

Hi Guy

I've coped this into a new thread as it's a good question and worth it's own thread! I'm a user too of the LSD and had "quite a learning curve" with it in Bonaire recently

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#144 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2118 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Oops - that went slightly wrong! Apologies Guy!

Here's the question for Oscar on the strobes. (The LSD question has its own thread now)

Hi Oscar can you give us a summary of the intended features in the update?  Also, are we clear to use the external battery packs at this time?

I think the flashes are great, and I am getting better lighting than ever on my shots.  It is one of the best gear upgrades I have done.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#145 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

Hi Guy

We are working mainly on improving the TTL program and we are testing some smaller changes which will hopefully make using the strobe even more easy. They will be described in detail once the update is available which we are aiming to produce at the end of the year. Regarding the ABC's we are now sending out emails with instructions so you should get the information soon. 

Thank you for your question regarding the LSD, I will answer it in the separate thread.

Thanks

www.retra-uwt.com

#146 Azurreal

Azurreal

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

Hi Oskar,

Do you have any news regarding the knew strobe announcement ?

Regards,

Clément

#147 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:53 AM

Thanks Oskar

It would be hard to make them any more easy!  I use mainly manual mode but look forward to the TTL improvements with interest for my macro work.

One change, maybe offer a plate for the mounting ball on the other side from where it is, that way, when mounted the way most of us do on our arms, the back of the flash will be "right side up" instead of upside down.  That is about the only improvement I could even suggest.

Personal for me, maybe an even brighter focus light, because in shallow water with the LSD the small spot can be overwhelmed by ambient light. In any other conditions they are plenty bright.

#148 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hi Oskar,

Do you have any news regarding the knew strobe announcement ?

Regards,
Clément

+1

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#149 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

Is there a new flash in the works?  Or just the firmware upgrade . . . 

#150 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Is there a new flash in the works?  Or just the firmware upgrade . . . 

Both, Oskar had announced in may that they were working on a new flash, to be announced in July-August, hence our questions :)

#151 newboy

newboy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Scuba
    Motorbikes

and cameras......

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

Both, Oskar had announced in may that they were working on a new flash, to be announced in July-August, hence our questions :)

The killer will be losing my strobes when the firmware work is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk