• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:38 AM

Underwater footage taken with Panasonic LX100.

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for sharing! How was the visibility of your dive? what WA lens did you use?

#3 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

Visibility was not very good in most of the dives. No WA lens, just the 3.5" dome port.

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

Thanks! Yeah I suspect the visibility wasn't great as you're getting similar result as I got from my LX100. Nice to see the use of the dome port. I guess it's big enough for manta ray after all.

#5 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Very nice job Frankie! Did you also shoot the drone footage?

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#6 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

You had a great trip!  Great that you got to see the hammers, depending on conditions sometimes they stay deep.  Where did you see the whale shark?

Wonderful job, brings back lots of memories for me.

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Very fishy! Dome port seems to work well. The shallow footage looks very good the hammers a bit noisy but at least you had them. The dj phantom bit is excellent. Only thing I don't like is the colours there is a lot of purple tinge

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

You had a great trip!  Great that you got to see the hammers, depending on conditions sometimes they stay deep.  Where did you see the whale shark?

Wonderful job, brings back lots of memories for me.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve. We were fortunate that El Canon and El Boiler delivered as we could not go to Roca Partida as it was very windy, spent more than 40 hours on our way back to Los Cabos. We saw the whale shark at Socorro Island - Cabo Pierce.

Very nice job Frankie! Did you also shoot the drone footage?

Thanks Jack, yes it was my trip to bring my phantom 2.

Very fishy! Dome port seems to work well. The shallow footage looks very good the hammers a bit noisy but at least you had them. The dj phantom bit is excellent. Only thing I don't like is the colours there is a lot of purple tinge

Yes, the dome port works pretty good but it struggled to focus(it told me that the objects were too close but they were not). Also I am still in the dark of why the camera focus did not stay there when I have turned the continuous AF off and selected AFS. Everytime I found something interesting I have to focus again...when its ability to focus in low light is bad it was really a bad experience.

Where did you find the purple tinge in other than in those silkies? My monitor for editing is not calibrated so may not see what you see.

Edited by kkfok, 04 April 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

The hammerhead have purple tint as well on my screen. But in general the colors are slightly strange probably with custom white balance they are what they were but not my cup of tea

I think the dome port is really small and the camera could have issues determining where the virtual images is.

If you had the inon wet lens everything would have been in focus however things probably would have looked too small

I am not convinced at all by this port system business

I am going to Sharm El Sheikh in a few days I hope I will be able to squeeze a few dives to test the GX7 with the Inon lens. In my sink test it takes the full zoom with no blurred corners I am looking forward to using it underwater with a filter (yes no custom white balance)

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

Also I am still in the dark of why the camera focus did not stay there when I have turned the continuous AF off and selected AFS. Everytime I found something interesting I have to focus again...when its ability to focus in low light is bad it was really a bad experience.

This is what I read in the book "Photographer's guide to the Panasonic Lumix LX100" :

On screen 1 of that menu, you can set the focus mode to AFS, AFF, or AFC, for single, flexible, or continuous autofocus. However, the focus method is also controlled by a second menu option, Continuous AF, on screen 2, which can be turned either on or off. If you turn Continuous AF on, then it doesn't matter what you choose for AFS/AFF/AFC. The camera will adjust focus continuously as the distance to the subject changes. If you turn Continuous AF off, then you need to press the shutter button halfway to focus, and you can cause the camera to refocus at any time by pressing the button again.

I don't turn Continuous AF off, mainly it add a bit complexity, like if I have to refocus by pressing the shutter button halfway, it will cause camera shake. I programmed the AF/AE button to "AF-on", and mostly shoot in manual mode. Before I start recording, I press the AF/AE button just like back button focusing to lock in initial focus. After I start recording, I keep an eye on the focus peaking dot to make sure stay where I want them to be. This method works well for close up like school of fish. When swimming over coral (constantly moving and changing subject), it's a bit tricky and I'm still fine tuning the method. I tried AF-C with Continuous AF On, and the result could be unpredictable and cause hunting from time to time because the water I was diving in was murky with lots of sand/particle, which affect AF.

#11 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

The areal footage really polishes off the video, nice job!

Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

The autofocus behavior is the same on all lumix cameras. You need to turn off the continuous autofocus in the video menu as that overrides anything else. In general autofocus is good and gives no problem with a wet lens on because due to the lens itself the depth of field changes and almost anything is in focus. When you shoot macro instead continuous autofocus should be off and single autofocus at the start of the footage is my favourite. Manual focus doesn't add anything to the previous as if you move the lever the camera shakes so I don't use it. Another important factor is to focus on centre only as the camera doesn't know what's the subject in a macro situation. If centre is a problem you can move the focus point. Going back to what frankie experienced I think with a dome the depth of field is not increased so continuos focus could mess things up especially if set to multi area

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#13 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

My problem of focus is like this :

Setting : Continuous AF -> OFF  AFS

I tried to use prefocus so I step down the lens to F5.6, find something 3m away, press the shutter to focus and hope that eveything from 2m will be in focus and I don't have to worry about focusing again. But everytime I pressed the movie record button to record something, the next time I tried to record again the focus was not there anymore and I had to refocus again...that was really a problem as the focus ability of LX100 is really bad behind the 3.5" dome. I am sure that I did not touch the shutter button when I record a clip.

Yes, I start to think that it is a better idea to use a wide wet lens than a 3.5" dome.

#14 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I don't think the 3.5" dome port is a good port. If you want to restore the air FOV of the camera underwater, it's better off to get the short port and the Nauticam Wetmate. You can't zoom with the short port, but to be honest, my mindset almost change to shooting DSLR style, in the sense that once I have the short port with WA lens on, I don't zoom and shoot what I see fit. But when come to macro, I still shoot like a point and shoot mindset, zooming to find the right composition.

You should give the short port + WA lens a try.

#15 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:16 AM

I think this is a bit unfair the dome port produces good results as you can see from the footage itself. The focus issues can be handled I would think this is just teething problems. One thing that am interested is how much you can zoom before it can't focus anymore

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog