32 replies to this topic

#21 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

Richard,

Canon and Nikon is well known for their excellent color rendering. I think Nikon is great for skin tone, while Canon is great overall, and with its glass/lens portfolio, that's why these two brands dominated the market. It is very easy to tell what scene/photo are shot with Canon vs Sony/Panasonic.

For a while I was trying to match Panasonic to Canon's color, at the end of the day, Panasonic with Scenery color profile and red filter (preferably Magic Filter) will get you very close to Canon's rendition of blue when you do the custom white balance right (with right sun position, water clarity, white/gray slate vs sand/hand). Like Dustin said, Canon have their head in the sand and not giving consumer the right camera at the right price point. They are many times I wanted to switch to the Canon G series for their color, but the video feature just kill those cameras for me. So I switched to Panasonic and spent time to find a way to cope with the color shortcoming.

Sony is very close to Canon's color these days and you can find a lot of video shot with the RX100 with nice blue color, but the WB on the Sony is not easy to work with.

Dustin, Lee tried out the A7S with Shogun, you can check with him how bad it is, and he would rather stick with his 6D, it's that painful!

Moses

Is it possible to see some wa sample from a7s + shogun? I'm very curious why it so bad.

#22 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

Richard,

Canon and Nikon is well known for their excellent color rendering. I think Nikon is great for skin tone, while Canon is great overall, and with its glass/lens portfolio, that's why these two brands dominated the market. It is very easy to tell what scene/photo are shot with Canon vs Sony/Panasonic.

For a while I was trying to match Panasonic to Canon's color, at the end of the day, Panasonic with Scenery color profile and red filter (preferably Magic Filter) will get you very close to Canon's rendition of blue when you do the custom white balance right (with right sun position, water clarity, white/gray slate vs sand/hand). Like Dustin said, Canon have their head in the sand and not giving consumer the right camera at the right price point. They are many times I wanted to switch to the Canon G series for their color, but the video feature just kill those cameras for me. So I switched to Panasonic and spent time to find a way to cope with the color shortcoming.

Sony is very close to Canon's color these days and you can find a lot of video shot with the RX100 with nice blue color, but the WB on the Sony is not easy to work with.

Dustin, Lee tried out the A7S with Shogun, you can check with him how bad it is, and he would rather stick with his 6D, it's that painful!

Moses

Thanks Moses. I have been in contact with Lee. And we are very much in the same position and have similar opinions. We are both waiting. The 6d is a awesome camera too with better low light than my camera. To be honest as far as color I don't expect that a new camera is going to be better necessarily. I am just looking to get going with 4k and maybe some more fps, some better low light ISO, autofocus would b e nice for some situations. Plus I want to get a new housing....If I had all those with my current camera, I would happy.

The macro with the a7s is great, but I need wide angle too. That is a problem. I assume that Sony will have internal recording on the next version, but the wb kills it for me.
Dustin

My Video's

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

Like our Facebook page! - www.facebook.com/oceanshutter

#23 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

Is it possible to see some wa sample from a7s + shogun? I'm very curious why it so bad.

I think Kay burn Lim is going to try it soon in Lembeh at a wide angle site. I will be interested to see the results.

My Video's

#24 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but here is a sample how it's possible to turn a Panasonic scene to get to something close to Canon's color. I only increase the hue slightly, and didn't get into individual color. So in theory you can color grade a Panasonic footage and make it to have nice color, but at the price of workflow, and may be a bit degrade in quality (if you over do it), but with Panasonic 4K, you have plenty of room to abuse the video especially if you output to 1080p.

A 4K screen shot of video shot with the Panasonic LX100 (Custom white balance with Scenery profile, WITHOUT red filter):

Anilao10.JPG

Simple graded of the same scene to get close to Canon's blue color:

Anilao10b.jpg

#25 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Could you selectively do it so you have the warmer yellows from the first shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#26 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

You could. Color grading is another monster that you can create all kind of filter, mask, gradient etc to change the mood of the scene. That's why many of us don't do it because it really take a toll on the work flow. Like Dustin said, finding music itself is a chore. 3 Weeks after my trip, I'm still selecting clips and trying to decide which one I want to attempt to post stabilize. I would say play around with your GH4 footage and from that point you would get better understanding of the color/quality in the GH4 (Panasonic in general) and find a happy medium to shoot/color correct. We all can't wait for Canon to pull their act together so this is how I chose to move on.

#27 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:57 AM

I think my local Mediterranean water doesn't help either. Never get blue clear water like that :-)

I'm off to play in FCPX....

Anyway back on topic. Still utterly impressed with it...I'm back in Truk in November. Fingers crossed I've got it all dialled in by then!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#28 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

You could. Color grading is another monster that you can create all kind of filter, mask, gradient etc to change the mood of the scene. That's why many of us don't do it because it really take a toll on the work flow. Like Dustin said, finding music itself is a chore. 3 Weeks after my trip, I'm still selecting clips and trying to decide which one I want to attempt to post stabilize. I would say play around with your GH4 footage and from that point you would get better understanding of the color/quality in the GH4 (Panasonic in general) and find a happy medium to shoot/color correct. We all can't wait for Canon to pull their act together so this is how I chose to move on.

Canon rumors just posted, that canon isn't putting 4k into the 5d4.....while still just a rumor, it is very frustrating. More about them protecting their cinema line.

My Video's

#29 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

If 5DM4 has 4K, it will kill their XC10 since XC 10 price around 5dM3 or 5dM4, but 5dM4 has full frame sensor, interchangeable lens, takes photo.

Just read this: http://www.eoshd.com...with-canon-log/

#30 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

If 5DM4 has 4K, it will kill their XC10 since XC 10 price around 5dM3 or 5dM4, but 5dM4 has full frame sensor, interchangeable lens, takes photo.

Just read this: http://www.eoshd.com...with-canon-log/

Is anyone going to buy the XC10?  I can't figure this camera out to be honest.  Why wouldn't someone just buy the GH4 or the A7s...Cheaper and better options.

My Video's

#31 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

I suspect Canon would try to market the XC10 to film students or videographers on a budget. GH4 and A7s require commitment of buying lens, and could be a confusing route for people who starting out videography and don't know much knowledge about dSLR.

I have a friend who's in film school now, and he has no idea about using what lens on what body, let alone speedbooster. All he learn is broadcast equipment that the school has, and of course he can't afford a C300. I think Canon is smartly trying to grow their Cinema EOS line users by offering a prosumer camcorder or dumbly try out the market just like their EOS-M line to see what's the response. There is also these discussion about the XC10 is targeted for journalists who's on the field and do not want to spend time to change lens or carry all the lens, hence the long zoom on the XC10. Many news/journalist are putting content online now so they don't need the kind of quality that could be projected on a 60 foot tall movie theater, so 1" sensor is good enough?

Again, these are just speculated conclusion that people drawn, no one from Canon really want to explain their strategy.

#32 bonadjalins

bonadjalins

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba Diving, Sports

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

Very enjoyable to watch Dustin! Nice! 

I envy your smooth shoot. It just like you use 3-axis stabilized gimbal underwater! :notworthy:  

I have the wrong camera, I can't see the GH4 rendering this sort of color at all.

Agree, especially the blue, its just lovely. I've been tinkering with my GH4 clips at Premiere Pro and none giving me such blue. Perhaps my technique but I'm dying to have such blue like yours.

Thanks for sharing. 

#33 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

Very enjoyable to watch Dustin! Nice! 

I envy your smooth shoot. It just like you use 3-axis stabilized gimbal underwater! :notworthy:  

Agree, especially the blue, its just lovely. I've been tinkering with my GH4 clips at Premiere Pro and none giving me such blue. Perhaps my technique but I'm dying to have such blue like yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much!

My Video's

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: betty bomber, 16-35mm, canon, truk, 5d, wreck, airplane, sola, white balance, ocean