Photo
- - - - -

Is it worth upgrading a Panasonic G7 to G85 just for IBIS (stabilization)?

panasonic g7 g85 panasonic g7 panasonic g85 pany

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pineapplepoundcake

pineapplepoundcake

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hello! Like the title states, is it worth spending the money to upgrade from a G7 to G85? How effective is IBIS stabilization underwater? Even with a double handed rig? 

Purpose of this camera is for marine conservation purposes - on land and in water - interviews, day-to-day, marine life, volunteer work, etc. So that rules out the GX85, because of no mic input. So next contender is the G85. I already have the lenses for m4/3, so I want to just change bodies.

#2 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:30 AM

I think it is not worth buying a new camera plus UW housing just because of image stabilisation (nice to have, but not really limiting).

=> If in your case I would go for a second hand housing for GX7 (if you do not have housing yet) and upgrade later to a new camera plus housing, but with 20 Mpix sensor (and of course IS)...

Wolfgang

#3 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:39 AM

Upgrading just for IBIS seems to be quite costly for what you get. Especially because you would be upgrading to a body with basically the same sensor. 

#4 pineapplepoundcake

pineapplepoundcake

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

I think it is not worth buying a new camera plus UW housing just because of image stabilisation (nice to have, but not really limiting).

=> If in your case I would go for a second hand housing for GX7 (if you do not have housing yet) and upgrade later to a new camera plus housing, but with 20 Mpix sensor (and of course IS)...

Wolfgang

It's not the GX7, it's G7. Since the older brother of G7 is G85, I do I have the money to upgrade. But I'd like to know if IBIS really helps stabilizing video while diving. OR does a rig already do that well enough that I don't need IBIS?

#5 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:14 AM

Of course IS helps, but it is no substitute for keeping the camera steady. You cannot jitter around, IS or not...

It depends whether you have the housing already - this is normally more expensive than the camera itself. And housing a G85 is, to my opinion, not worth any more (unless you get a used housing cheap) ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panasonic, g7, g85, panasonic g7, panasonic g85, pany