Jolly's D2000/DA2 article

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hi there!

I've just purchased a D2000 to go with the Fuji F810 in the Fuji housing.

Reading Jolly's excellent article, I'm wondering whether I'll need to spring for the Inon diffusers to correct the colour of the strobe focus light and increase exposure accuracy?? :?

I find reading the inonamerica page somewhat cryptic and can't work out whether I need the red or the blue colour correction (is the Fuji F810 a non-preflash like the F710?).

Also, I don't really want to loose any light from the strobe, but I gather this may be the only way to get the accurate exposures exhibited by the DA2/Z220 combo.

Perhaps somebody who has used the combination can assist? :? Thanks.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#2 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hi Anthony,

As my article is only a technical view on the system I would recommend the following for real world usage.

The influence on the metering system would only be noticeable at all when the focus light represents a large amount or all of the ambient light. That means you really can ignore this item underwater. It might be noticeable on a night dive when distance is just a few centimetres. But even then I would expect the results not being completely out of range.

As far as I remember the diffusers are identical to my Z220 ones and have a hole for not blocking the focus light. So if you really feel the need, I would try the recommended filters by Inon.

I think it was mentioned somewhere that your Fuji camera does not emit a preflash. That would mean the Fuji has an external sensor for flash exposure metering? In this case you donít have to care about the filters at all as there is no preflash influence.

As far as I remember you might have to insert the magnet screw in your case in order to disable the D2000ís preflash handling. And maybe switch back to external auto strobe function. But this depends if your Fuji really emits only one mainflash and uses an external sensor. The external camera sensor might not deliver reliable results due to blocking from the underwater housing.

If you have detailed information on your Fujiís strobe method it would be easier to figure out which mode to use.

Regards,

Julian
| Canon 5D II / Sealux | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

Having been using the camera now for a couple of days (yet to get in the water) - I can confirm Julian's guess that external auto is the best mode. The camera does not appear to preflash and S-TTL gives inconsistent exposure - probably for the reason that Julian suggested - external camera sensor blocked by the housing.

Hopefully this helps other users.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Also - no filters necessary (due to no S-TTL).
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#5 Fisheyedave

Fisheyedave

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

Fuji 810 does not use preflash and has an external sensor to determine exposure.
Dave
Nikon D200 and Fuji S2 in home built housings, SB104, SB28's SB800 in home built housings.Inon 220Fs Subal with F90x S&S strobes and usual selection of glass.