• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:47 AM

Looking for some backup strobes to my two S&S 90dxs. Plus thinking of going to a 3-4 strobe set up. The SB104s could be used for more wide angle type shots. What do you think about these strobes? If I am looking to add more strobes should I just stick to more S&S 90DXs?

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

While I've not tried an SB104, I have used their older brother, the SB102. The 104 is basically a 102 with a better battery system.

These are GOOD strobes, powerful and wide, but they are also old. They are not as fast to recharge as newer models, and they take an OEM battery that isn't easy to get. They will not do any kind of digital TTL and they don't have as many power settings as your YS90DXs.

With that said, if you can get a killer deal, go for it, otherwise, if you want wide strobes, I'd recommend the Ikelite DS125's or SS200's.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1373 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:29 AM

Would US$750 per strobe be considered a "Killer Deal"?

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Not in my book. You can buy a NEW SS200 w/ charger for that much...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hi,

While I've not tried an SB104, I have used their older brother, the SB102.  The 104 is basically a 102 with a better battery system.

These are GOOD strobes, powerful and wide, but they are also old.  They are not as fast to recharge as newer models, and they take an OEM battery that isn't easy to get.  They will not do any kind of digital TTL and they don't have as many power settings as your YS90DXs.

With that said, if you can get a killer deal, go for it, otherwise, if you want wide strobes, I'd recommend the Ikelite DS125's or SS200's.

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have and use the SB 104 with my Fuji S2 Pro in TTL mode for the past two years and I have no complaints. The battery pack is rather expensive but I’m in the process of replacing the original battery pack with a wired remote 7.2 volt rechargeable Ni-MH battery, I don’t care much for Ni-Cd batteries. As for the recycle times it seem as fast as my SB 105. Power setting are 1/4 1/16 or TTL.
You can still buy the batteries from many retailers such as B&H.

Marc
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#6 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

There is an argument for getting more S&S90DX in terms of redundancy, but I wonder whether it might not be worth considering an Ikelite DS125?

Some thoughts to consider...

The SB104 recycles in 3 seconds after a full dump (just like your S&S90's) whereas the DS125 is ready to go in one second. The SB104 and DS125 are both negatively buoyant which may be useful for you in terms of placing/resting the strobe rather than having it on arms. I'm not sure if the SB104 has a modelling light, but the DS125 has a very powerful one which you can use as dive light. Both SB104 and DS125 have the similar manual settings with the DS125 having 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 and many more with the manual controller.

One thing that you may not have considered is the significantly different colour temperature compared to the strobes you are using. If you are using them together, this might be something to keep in mind. The S&S strobes are 5400K and the Ike and Nikon strobes are 4700K.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#7 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:50 AM

I am also looking for a set of new strobes .. although won't be buying for some time until I have got used to my setup. I am considering inons ... but I amscared they will look puny and small against my housing .. although the ys120 I have is perfect two of them may be too much but i don't know yet I will do a test dive with dual 120's when i get back to cayman.
I can get my hands on a lot of strobes there to trial what I like .. I mean everyone would 'like' to have the best .. but i need a paycheck first. I think a pair of identical strobes is a must for me .. just because I like to look good as well as do good. If I choose anotyher strobe type then I will be buying two and eiother keeping my 120 as back up or selling it. Even though it has been flooded it is still in perfect condition battery compartment only flood that has been cleaned. And apart from that the value of it has increased since i bought it ... how often does that happen !

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks