• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richgarrett

richgarrett

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:43 AM

I am trying to decide between the Z-220 and D-2000 with Optical Converter to use on my housed Canon D60/20D cameras. in the absence of true TTL strobes I am interested in how well the External Auto mode of the D-2000 Strobe works.

I been shooting Manual in the past with Sea & Sea YS-350's with the guide number controller with good results, but sometimes miss good shots when it is the first shot of a different size subject. :D

the external auto mode seems like an attractive alternative. seems like external auto should be
pretty close on most subject and the D-2000 has the ability to dial in +_ exposure compensation to correct any error.

I would love to see some test shots.

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

I have used the D2000 in external auto, but it needs to be pointed directly at (towards) the subject in order to get good results. For this reason, it may not be ideal an SLR setup since you often want to aim the strobe obliquely to minimise backscatter. The +/- comp initially seems appealing, but you'll find you get more consistent results with manual since fewer variables will be influencing your results. Also, once you start dialing in comp - you may as well be using manual in the first place.

Although the D2000 is a great strobe for compacts I probably wouldn't recommend it for an SLR since the optical converter closes the price gap between it and the Z220. Also, you may wish to consider the Heinrichs DA2 converter as reviewed by Jolly here on wetpixel so that you can get TTL for your cameras.

Hope this helps.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Ahhh, I just read up on the Heinrichs converter and it appears that it will NOT work with your D60, but may work with the 20D.

Perhaps someone who has tried this might be able to shed some more light :D on the situation.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#4 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:48 AM

Hi Rich,

I've also got D60 and 20D and I've been checking up with Matthias for a couple of months now about 20D support on his E-TTL adapter.

He says that the 20D is high priority, but I guess he's been concentrating on the D70 system for the past month or so. Hopefully now the 20D support is not too far away. Hint hint Matthias :D

On the other point, we've got a D2000 strobe for my GF's Sony P150 and it works beautifully on the 20D, slaving off the internal strobe. The 20D internal can be popped up slightly unlike the D60, which if your housing will allow it is a possiblity. You would probably need to add some IR filter to stop flash bouncing around inside the housing and causing flare though. Plus, you'd need to use some fibre inside the housing to bring the IR trigger light to a point where the external Inon fibre can see it.

Regards

Martyn
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.