71 replies to this topic

#1 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hi,
I have been watching NEX-5 camera since it was introduced, with several reasons. First, it allows to use many different lenses
from Nikon(F & G lens),Canon,Minolta,Carl Zeiss,Leica and more & new lens adapters are keep coming everyday. Secondly,
it takes good video as it came from Sony and taking Panorama picture is easier than ever & price is affordable.

UW housing choice was limited to Seatool but, I was excited to see new housing from Nauticam and I could not believe when I saw
it will allow to use Nikonos wet lenses. I am ready to order one & would like to hear the opinions & see if pictures are available.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#2 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I had a play around with this camera. I love the concept for much of the same reason as you. Was additionally very impressed by it's low light performance.

The deal breaker for me was ergonomics. While high iso looked good it was so hard to change it. I can see a lot of task loading underwater. It might perform like a dslr but it doesn't have the feel of one. Felt like a Ferrari engine with an automatic transmission.

#3 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hi,
I have been watching NEX-5 camera since it was introduced, with several reasons. First, it allows to use many different lenses
from Nikon(F & G lens),Canon,Minolta,Carl Zeiss,Leica and more & new lens adapters are keep coming everyday. Secondly,
it takes good video as it came from Sony and taking Panorama picture is easier than ever & price is affordable.

UW housing choice was limited to Seatool but, I was excited to see new housing from Nauticam and I could not believe when I saw
it will allow to use Nikonos wet lenses. I am ready to order one & would like to hear the opinions & see if pictures are available.

Sam

Here you go. NEX5 Image Gallery

#4 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

Pics look good. Peter, any idea who took those? There was no photo credits that I saw.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

Official press release is up:
http://wetpixel.com/...a-nex5-housing/

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hi,
Thanks for good information Eric. I ordered the housing & start reading old Jim Church's Nikonos V book again to see how we used lenses as I forgot many things.

Sam

Edited by shchae, 21 September 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#7 yupaso

yupaso

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Sony announced firmware update which support for A-mount Sony lenses with internal motors and add customizable buttons in Photokina 2010.
E-system is getting intriguing for underwater use , indeed ;)

link below
http://www.imaging-r...1285109120.html

#8 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

I wonder how bright the LCD is with the Nikonos lens stopped down?

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#9 Edward Lai

Edward Lai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:00 AM

Here's 2 photos showing the Nex-5 housing mounted with a Nikonos 15mm WA focused to infinity and aperture set to F22. The camera is set to 'A' mode and the exposure is adjusted automatically. TTL flash exposure works extremely well for Inon/Sea&Sea strobes vis optical fibre connection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uploaded live from Photokina, Germany.

#10 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

Now where did I put my Nikonons lenses ;)

It looks like orange filters ( UR PRO ? Magic Filter ? ) are being enouraged at Photokina as well.

http://elai.smugmug....372_PMQHi-L.jpg

#11 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

Pics look good. Peter, any idea who took those? There was no photo credits that I saw.

The Photo's were taken by Edward Lai from Nauticam.

#12 Panda

Panda

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Split levels, timelapse, temperate critters.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

The digital Nikonos! Never thought I'd see the day. Brilliant.

anewton.net - UW blog - KAP blog
Victoria Australia. Nikon D7000, Lumix LX3. Ikelite. Inon. GoPro 2

#13 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

You can find some images with this system and the Sony 18 to 55 mm zoom "kit" lens at this link, http://www.digitaldi...;threadid=27570

Phil Rudin

#14 Edward Lai

Edward Lai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

The Photo's were taken by Edward Lai from Nauticam.

Hi Peter,

Since you mentioned it. The photos from Maldives were taken by Jac with Sea&Sea 12mm for Nikonos and E-mount 18-55; and those from Cebu were by me with a Nikonos 15mm and E-mount 18-55. We had used a wet diopter in front of the 18-55 for some shots.

Unfortunately weather conditions had not been ideal for both tests.

BR,
Edward

Edited by Edward Lai, 23 September 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#15 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Excellent to be able to use the Nikonos lenses. However what are the widest Nikonos lenses? Given the 1.6 crop factor even 16mm WA will just be 25mm equivalent though.

I wonder who will be the first one producing wet-contact lenses again after Nikon, if ever....

/O

Edited by oskar, 27 September 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#16 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Excellent to be able to use the Nikonos lenses. However what are the widest Nikonos lenses? Given the 1.6 crop factor even 16mm WA will just be 25mm equivalent though.

I wonder who will be the first one producing wet-contact lenses again after Nikon, if ever....

/O

There are 2 Wet WA lenses, Nikonos 15mm and Sea&Sea 12mm but, many people agrees Nikonos lens was better in many ways. And crop factor on NEX-5 camera is
1.5 . I think we will all see the sample images in few weeks. For Macro, 35mm with extension tube and 80mm with x2 wet diopter will be Nikonos lens choice.

Sam

#17 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

/O

The 15mm Nikonos was equivalent to a 20mm topside lens. 94 degrees. 20mm x 1.5 crop = 30mm. The 12mm S&S is a fisheye and should be useful. Probably tough to find though.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#18 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

With the NEX; the Nikonos 15mm then be equivalent to 22-23mm on full frame.
If this is the case, this would make it of pretty limited use would it not? Any real advantages besides not having to carry a dome? Lack of autofocus and other electronic connections, hmmm, manual focus on an LCD screen underwater has to be pretty tough. Is this just nostalgia or is this really a useful feature?

Edited by loftus, 28 September 2010 - 04:58 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#19 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:00 AM

With the NEX; will the Nikonos 15mm then be equivalent to 22-23mm on full frame?

Yes, of course this is a gimmick, but it is a very cool one. And this doesn't take away from the fact the NEX looks a great UW, just probably not with Nikonos lenses.

The 15mm is not wide enough (considering Stephen says it is a 20mm equivalent and then you have to consider the crop factor, that is not wide at all). However, when there is a FF sensor NEX, this solution might start getting very interesting.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#20 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

One of the coolest things about mirrorless systems in my opinion is that they allow unique combinations like this. Utility is in the eye of the utilizer :D. I'm hoping to house a Voigtlaender 12mm /5.6 on NEX-5. It might rock, it might not, but for me trying these things out is fun, and occasionally you stumble on something that fills a need.

Nikonos 15mm projects a 72 degree diagonal aov on NEX-5. If you have a subject in mind that is well suited for that aov I don't think any lens behind a dome can be sharper.

Nikonos 28 with extension tubes outresolves slr macro lenses behind a flat port. Less flexible, but I'm sure that will be an attractive option for some.

Some will use Nikonos 15 because they feel it is one of the sharpest lenses ever produced for shooting underwater. I'm sure someone will eventually post comparison images from Sony E- 18-55 at 20mm v. UW-Nikkor 15mm, and it will be interesting to see what is gained from the water contact optics.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com