Photo
- - - - -

Using Inon Z240 with Sea&Sea RDX-550, how much bouyancy is required?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scubajunkie11

scubajunkie11

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

I am upgrading to a Sea&Sea RDX-550 and Inon Z240 Strobes with 2 x 8 inch arms either side. Can anyone tell me if one 8 inch bouyancy arm per side is enough or too much to make the system neutral in the water?

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

It will depend on the port/dome you choose. With a big dome the rig will float. With a macro lens and flat port it will probably still be a little heavy. If you're shooting macro you won't need both 8" arms on.

Have you decided on the configuration your going to try first?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 scubajunkie11

scubajunkie11

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

It will depend on the port/dome you choose. With a big dome the rig will float. With a macro lens and flat port it will probably still be a little heavy. If you're shooting macro you won't need both 8" arms on.

Have you decided on the configuration your going to try first?

Steve

Hi Steve, going to start with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens and flat port. Once I learn how to shoot with this most likely go to a dome port and wide angle lens

#4 thedidavid

thedidavid

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hi Steve, going to start with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens and flat port. Once I learn how to shoot with this most likely go to a dome port and wide angle lens

RDX-standard port is weight like a ton, if you combine this with grip stay L your combo will weight like 2-3 lb underwater based on my experience using using RDX-500D with 2 x YS-110a.
I recommend you to use buoyancy foam if you are using ULCS arms, cost less than buoyancy arm.
If you switch to NX compact dome is much lighter.

Edited by thedidavid, 12 January 2011 - 03:25 PM.

Sea & Sea MDX-7D with 2 x YS-110A

#5 scubajunkie11

scubajunkie11

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

RDX-standard port is weight like a ton, if you combine this with grip stay L your combo will weight like 2-3 lb underwater based on my experience using using RDX-500D with 2 x YS-110a.
I recommend you to use buoyancy foam if you are using ULCS arms, cost less than buoyancy arm.
If you switch to NX compact dome is much lighter.

HI David thanks for the info if I use the NX compact dome what lens do you recommend? I am of the understanding that you cannot use the canon 18-55mm lens??

#6 Sylar

Sylar

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

HI David thanks for the info if I use the NX compact dome what lens do you recommend? I am of the understanding that you cannot use the canon 18-55mm lens??

I think you need to decide what lens you want to use first, then work out which port you are going to need for that lens.
If its the 18-55 then the RDX standard port looks like one to use from the S&S lens chart.

As for the buoyancy arm question, I would go for just the normal ULCS arms and add buoyancy foam (like Stix floats) if needed.
If you get buoyancy arms that keep your rig neutrally buoyant with a macro/standard port then decide to start shooting wide angle with dome port, it might then be too buoyant.
Canon 50D, Ikelite Housing, DS160 strobes, Canon 60mm, 100mm, 18-55mm, Tokina 10-17mm
My Flickr