• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:59 AM

Too much post stabilisation can indeed make footage look very odd and at times give you a very uneasy viewing experience with stuff wobbling at the edge of your footage.

I know I've used it too excess before with bad (looking at it now) results.

Having the IBIS and OIS on the GH5, really does negate the need to use any warp stabiliser - when I have added it, its very slight and just removes the final bumps, and yeah the 1-2% you loose, you won't see in YouTube.

One thing for the GH5 would be running it at 60fps, a higher shutter speed and with the increase in ISO - something you potentially can't do with the GH5, the warp stabiliser then has twice as many frames (and sharp, clean ones at that) to calculate the movement, so you can potentially get much cleaner, stable results.

Interesting times ahead

You could also slow it down 50% (shooting at 60 FPS) which would help a lot too, without even needing to stabilise. Gonna be interesting to see people starting to get their hands on the 5s!

#22 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I like this one and it is from your area pajpen

#23 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

I love the night time shots on the snowmobiles, so clean! Still haven't decided whether to go with the 5 or the 5s haha, I'm torn.

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#24 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:24 AM

Coming from gh4 i think having  the ibis underwater is a great thing  (for me at least) 

İ have the gh5 now but i havent used it uw that much until now..this one i have filmed back in october . İ have 5000x2 lights but at some sceneries i havent used them at all...Unfortunately i cant remember my iso vallues .... those caves were  dark actually ..

Edited by lutfu, 14 January 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#25 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:30 AM

GH5s underwater low light test:

https://youtu.be/8Km50t5Kr2U

Edited by thani, 09 February 2018 - 01:34 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#26 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

@lutfu
for your ISO values, just open/import the file in the free PHOTOfun software that comes with the cam. There's useful info available if you just right-click on the thumbnail, including ISO, shutter, aperture etc.

Matt 

Edited by matdiver1234, 10 February 2018 - 09:53 AM.

Matt

Panasonic GH5 - Nauticam housing - single 50W Kowalski Maxum

https://vimeo.com/matdiverpalau

#27 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

Thank you very much Matdiver 1234...I will try that..

#28 Kristoph2008

Kristoph2008

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

At 2:07

About 90ft, cloudy day, no more than ISO400, around F5 with my LX100 (it's similar to GH4). This show there is a need of low noise performance for UW.

Everyone should know the limitation of their gear and push that limit and know what they want/need. So with GH5s, it may help with the situation in my case? May be. But without the IBIS, when you deal with cloudy day, deep, and strong current, would one choose Gh5 or GH5s? It all come down to how comfortable you feel about fixing, either fix the noise with NeatVideo, or fix the shakiness with After Effect Warpstabilizer.

KC - I assume this was ambient and you didn't use lights due to the distance.  I used to shoot a D100 with Sea & Sea housing many years ago and moved to Gopro, but thinking of changing to something better.  We are headed to Socorro in June :)

#29 Kristoph2008

Kristoph2008

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Ok - another question that may be stupid.....I dont see any mention of the Canon 5d Mkiv being good for video. Why?? (Large file sizes?)

Backscatter touts it as one of the best cameras for UW.

I shoot a 5d mkiii professionally for real estate and it is getting high shutter count and probably getting tired in next year or two..was thinking of 5dmkiv or 5ds and the next work camera, but if I can kill two birds with one stone might consider upgrading earlier.

Edited by Kristoph2008, 18 February 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#30 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

Kristoph,

Yes I shoot ambient light in Socorro with Magic Filter. I know it's deep so I need to use custom white balance method to bring out the blue color. Unfortunately the visibility got bad half way into the trip so the white balance was challenging. At 3:30 into the video, you see some light on the Manta, it's a Keldan light from the boat's videographer, he swam around and shine his light everywhere and piss many people off, so watch out for people who abuse high power video light. Since I shoot ambient light, it's hard to swim on top of the Manta to capture the top side view of the manta because everything will be very dark. So it's a tricky experience for me.

As for your question of Canon 5DM4, I know 2 very skill videographers who are highly disappointed with it and decided to move to the 1DX M2 since the price is still manageable for them. Besides the file size, the big drawback of the 5DM4 is its crop factor, it's so bad that you can't really shoot good Wide Angle with it. I'm not sure if they corrected the crop factor through firmware update. Also, the 1DX M2 can shoot 4K 60 fps, so it's a highly desire feature with many professional videographers.

#31 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

".... he swam around and shine his light everywhere and piss many people off, so watch out for people who abuse high power video light. "

Yeah, I know what you mean. Would have been even worse, i.e. more pink/red if he was closer. 

I have very mixed feelings about these high power lights. I'm very impressed by the tech and the relatively small size, but generally I don't feel that comfortable shining really bright lights on turtles and our fishy friends! All down to personal preference I guess, but I wonder if it could influence fish behaviour in the long-term, maybe even push them to find somewhere less "disruptive"?

As regards noise, in my experience MWB can have as much of an impact as ISO. It seems like what's going on when you get a good MWB at 20m, say, and all the reds and yellows look nice, if you then point the cam at something out in the blue the "red boost" translates as noise. The few times it occurred I corrected it very easily with NeatVideo and reducing the red in Vegas curves, but the point is that at the same ISO there was no visible noise for the colourful reef shot. 

Matt

Matt

Panasonic GH5 - Nauticam housing - single 50W Kowalski Maxum

https://vimeo.com/matdiverpalau

#32 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Coming back to the GH5S discussion, have you looked at the Eric Nasso review at newsshooter : http://www.newsshoot...good-bad-clean/

The GH5S colors looks really good.

I'm very much tempted to get this cam.

#33 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

how do i add a picture from my computer.  I got a quote on the GH5 the other day and it is pricey was not expecting that hahaha.  

#34 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Coming back to the GH5S discussion, have you looked at the Eric Nasso review at newsshooter : http://www.newsshoot...good-bad-clean/

The GH5S colors looks really good.

I'm very much tempted to get this cam.

Taking his head shot into FCPX, the differences are very slight and I've got the GH5 shot to match the GH5s. So for a multi shoot, mixing them together looks really simple.

Still impressed with the colors of both! :)

Edited by thetrickster, 23 February 2018 - 02:07 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#35 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

Kristoph,

Yes I shoot ambient light in Socorro with Magic Filter. I know it's deep so I need to use custom white balance method to bring out the blue color. Unfortunately the visibility got bad half way into the trip so the white balance was challenging. At 3:30 into the video, you see some light on the Manta, it's a Keldan light from the boat's videographer, he swam around and shine his light everywhere and piss many people off, so watch out for people who abuse high power video light. Since I shoot ambient light, it's hard to swim on top of the Manta to capture the top side view of the manta because everything will be very dark. So it's a tricky experience for me.

As for your question of Canon 5DM4, I know 2 very skill videographers who are highly disappointed with it and decided to move to the 1DX M2 since the price is still manageable for them. Besides the file size, the big drawback of the 5DM4 is its crop factor, it's so bad that you can't really shoot good Wide Angle with it. I'm not sure if they corrected the crop factor through firmware update. Also, the 1DX M2 can shoot 4K 60 fps, so it's a highly desire feature with many professional videographers.

The crop factor on the 5D4 might actually be an advantage for underwater work, assuming you can use third party APSC lenses. Generally, for underwater work you want as great a depth of fields as you can get, so smaller sensors are actually a good thing. One of the reasons I think m4/3 is great for underwater video. 

Touching a bit on high powered video lights -- I've yet to see a single example of what I'd consider rich underwater colors that relies solely on ambient light, below 10 meters. You can't really beat physics unfortunately.. Red light don't penetrate very deep in the water column, and no amount of custom white balancing or red filters is going to bring them back if they're just not there.

#36 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

GH5S...

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Pana 8mm, Natural profile, Manual WB, ISO 3200, 4k 30p 4-2-2 All intra

Not my video.

Loved the colour rendition

#37 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

GH5S...

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Pana 8mm, Natural profile, Manual WB, ISO 3200, 4k 30p 4-2-2 All intra

Not my video.

Loved the colour rendition

Colours - are lovely... would be interesting to see how much he had to push that in post. But some lovely deep blues.

Alas we are spoiled with smooth video these days, with some stabilisation, that would removed probably all the micro jitters and made it even more spectacular.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#38 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:01 AM

Colours - are lovely... would be interesting to see how much he had to push that in post. But some lovely deep blues.

Alas we are spoiled with smooth video these days, with some stabilisation, that would removed probably all the micro jitters and made it even more spectacular.

I 've seen and shoot more jittering video than this with stabilized cameras  :lol2:   

#39 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:19 AM

I love the colors too. Also did not find it jittering.

There are some very good cameras and lenses available those days, Not sure what more we could ask.

#40 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Are you guys professionals or mostly enthusiasts that want the very best quality ?