2 replies to this topic

#1 ladiver33

ladiver33

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

Hello -

Former TG5 shooter getting everything ready to "take the next step" and move to a mirrorless rig. After a few weeks of research and video watching, I am pretty set on the GH5 w/ a Nauticam housing.

One potential issue that is dissuading me is the lack of TTL support on the Nauticam housing. I know I will eventually want to control my strobes manually down the line, but TTL seems like a wonderful option for the first few weeks/months as I learn how to use this new camera. 

I have come across this converter kit.

Curious if anyone has any experience with these products. Do they work well? In theory, with this purchase I would NOT need flash triggers, correct?

Would I be able to use my existing strobes (YS D2) and fiber optic cables?

Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:43 AM

In theory that's the way it should work, it will depend on a number of things including having good quality cables to transmit the signals and if the LEDs are strong enough to trigger the  YS-D2s reliably. 

Sounds like you are wanting to shoot stills - the EM-1 MkII will definitely trigger your YS-D2s using the little accessory flash it comes with and the AF is really first class, can't compare it to a GH5 not having used one, but I've been really happy with my EM-1 MkII and the little accessory flash has served me well. Plenty of examples on my website in the link in my signature.

I thought I wanted to shoot TTL  as well when I first started, but very quickly switched to manual, setting the flash at 1/64th power to trigger my strobes.  Results were hit and miss particularly for wide angle where the flash was never powerful enough.   To be honest I don't have to change power very much except when going between wide angle and macro when I need to turn it down a stop or two and any errors in exposure are 100% correctable in Raw.  At 1/64th recycle is instant and I'm never constrained by waiting for it to recycle and doesn't really impact battery life as I can do 3- 4 dives on one battery.

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2375 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

Hello -

Former TG5 shooter getting everything ready to "take the next step" and move to a mirrorless rig. After a few weeks of research and video watching, I am pretty set on the GH5 w/ a Nauticam housing.

One potential issue that is dissuading me is the lack of TTL support on the Nauticam housing. I know I will eventually want to control my strobes manually down the line, but TTL seems like a wonderful option for the first few weeks/months as I learn how to use this new camera. 

I have come across this converter kit.

Curious if anyone has any experience with these products. Do they work well? In theory, with this purchase I would NOT need flash triggers, correct?

Would I be able to use my existing strobes (YS D2) and fiber optic cables?

Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

The YS-D2 strobes work correctly in TTL with the GH5 you just have to reprogram using custom mode the instructions are on page 28-29

1. Switch off the strobe

2. Set level control to f/5.6

3. Press and hold target light and turn on Manual mode with preflash

4. You should now see the light turn white

5. Switch strobe off

The benefits of a converter is not to fire the flash (you will need a mini flash DM-70) and to enable electrical cords you don't need

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5, nauticam, housing, panasonic, ttl