• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#161 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

My God this thread just keeps going and going...

Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

Cheers for posting the images

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#162 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

Alright I am totally sold, Drew have you secured any dates etc for next year? I wanna go, it looks awesome!

Jon

You welcome ! Since you guys are still reading this thread one more funny bird picture I stumbled upon in my archive:

[img]http://http://www.pats0n.com/photos/sar/06.08/lj/_DSC2834-Edit-3.jpg[/img]

I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

#163 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Jon

Jon

You welcome ! Since you guys are still reading this thread one more funny bird picture I stumbled upon in my archive:

Posted Image

I still have few more, however I'm off to Galapagos next week, and hopefully finally can change subject and stop annoying you with Sardine Run pics ! :) Again, I want to say thank you to Drew for such great trip - his knowledge and guidance were the key for us to enjoy experience and snap some ok shots this year. Thanks a lot and I personally hope Wetpixel will continue tradition of the Ocean Safari, if not next year then year after next !

Edited by pats0n, 20 October 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#164 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

#165 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

What housing are you using?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#166 pats0n

pats0n

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

What housing are you using?

Alex

Alex, I have Sea&Sea MDX 300 equipped with compact dome port with Nikon D300 + Nikkor 12-24mm inside. As it usually happens during last few days before trip I'm trying to solve soft corners issue with this setup using your articles among other sources. I'm purchasing +4 diopter, hoping it will improve corners on open apertures a bit, but worrying since I never used one and my time in Galapagos going to be very limited. I was thinking about Tokina 10-17 but decided that I prefer straight undistorted perespective for my shooting style, and that Nikkor 12-24 is good lense which probably can be fixed somehow with usage of add-ons or proper port.

I will appreciate your advice a lot on this.

Cheers, Alex

#167 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

I love the way your images look. They are very unique and almost have a painted feel to them. Keep posting please. I will never be bored of this post.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#168 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

We have posted trip details for 2009!

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=27136
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#169 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

And I'd like to re-iterate that you have to write into the email address in the trip announcement if you are interested in the trip, even if you had written in before.

Can't wait to see the pictures from 2009!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#170 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:32 AM

Truly awesome stuff everyone!
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Vimeo | Blubrry

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 1D MkIV, Zillion housings + way too much other junk.

#171 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Because da Wu made a comment... here's one for the road:

SR080011.jpg
Canon 1D2N Sigma 12-24 at 12 f4.5 1/160 ISO400

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#172 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

Nice! Where's the Brydes Whale?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#173 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

I've received more than a few emails regarding this trip so I'll respond here.
The trips run by Wetpixel are designed for maximum opportunity to photograph the phenomena (how you shoot is another matter :drink:). We minimize the group to 4 or 5 for that effect. It stands to reason that the fewer divers, the better the photo ops. We'll let the results speak for themselves here. Read this thread and you'll get an idea of what the trip is about. Our operation is not representative of the general ops available besides going to and coming back from sea (and even that is sometimes different).
Sorry to dig up this thread that will not die but after so many emails of the same questions, it's easier this way. Since I dragged this thread up, I'll throw in a pic or 2.:D

OSWP021.jpg
Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/200 f13
Dolphins just coming out of the baitball. Note the gannets in the background.

OSWP017.jpg
Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/125 f4.5
A lone C. Limbatus hunting in the baitball.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#174 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Some incredible pictures there...
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#175 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

I've received more than a few emails regarding this trip so I'll respond here.
The trips run by Wetpixel are designed for maximum opportunity to photograph the phenomena (how you shoot is another matter :)). We minimize the group to 4 or 5 for that effect. It stands to reason that the fewer divers, the better the photo ops. We'll let the results speak for themselves here. Read this thread and you'll get an idea of what the trip is about. Our way of operation is not representative of the general ops available besides going to and coming back from sea (and even that is sometimes different).
Sorry to dig up this thread that will not die but after so many emails of the same questions, it's easier this way. Since I dragged this thread up, I'll throw in a pic or 2.:)

OSWP021.jpg
Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/200 f13
Dolphins just coming out of the baitball. Note the gannets in the background.

OSWP017.jpg
Canon 1DIIN Sigma 12-24 1/125 f4.5
A lone C. Limbatus hunting in the baitball.

I have one complaint Craig; you don't post enough of your images.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#176 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Yes Craig should shoot more pics and fewer spears. :) :)

Drew

#177 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:23 AM

:) Alzheimers setting in, I meant you Drew!!!

Edited by loftus, 24 March 2009 - 05:33 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#178 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

Oh I see... I thought it was your witty Gauteng left field dig at Craig Clasen... how disappointing! Even scarier is how I jumped in on it. :)

Drew

#179 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Oh I see... I thought it was your witty Gauteng left field dig at Craig Clasen... how disappointing! Even scarier is how I jumped in on it. :)

When I first saw it, I thought it was a beautiful example of crossthreading ... :)

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#180 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

The new photo gallery is here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=29411

Drew