4 replies to this topic

#1 00wabbit

00wabbit

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Looking to upgrade from my 60d. 

I do not use the 60d underwater because at the time I didn't want to invest in a housing for a camera I knew I was going to replace. 

My next camera will go underwater. My dive sites are typically darker waters like the great lakes, St. Lawrence River, etc. I have some lights but I mostly like large wide angle shipwreck photos where strobes don't really help. 

I also use the camera on land. My main reason for upgrading is poor low light performance. I could pick up a used 5dII and used housing at a good price. My other option is the Canon 6d. I really like the wifi features and connecting to the iphone to shoot and offload photos. This will be a good feature as well. 

Anyway, of the 6d and 5dII which has the best low light performance? Or is the difference negligible? 

Some other things to note:

I don't need the multiple focus points on the 5dIII

I would like a weather sealed body, but it's not necessary. I can't tell if the 6d is sealed, but I think it isn't.

I already own some L lenses and will stay with canon.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi partner,

Snapsort would say the 6D wins the low light performance contest.  I think that the 6D would also surprise most people and win the auto focus speed contest especially in low light.. It's lighter too by quite a bit.  

snapsort comparison

From a control standpoint everything you can do on the 5D MKII you can do with the 6D with some judicious use of the reprogrammable controls.

Good luck on your decision,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Looking to upgrade from my 60d. 

Some other things to note:

I don't need the multiple focus points on the 5dIII

I would like a weather sealed body, but it's not necessary. I can't tell if the 6d is sealed, but I think it isn't.

I already own some L lenses and will stay with canon.

Well, if I ignore some of your criteria, I'd suggest you look at the Sony A7S.  It's probably the best low-light camera in the market today.

Regards

Peter

#4 00wabbit

00wabbit

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thanks, but I have a lens and strobe investment in Canon. I am happy with them and will stick with them for now. 

My underwater camera at the moment is the sony rx100. 

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:40 AM

The 6D easily outperforms the 5D2 in most everything you need as a camera.  The difference in noise is more pronounced in the higher ISO from 3200 onwards.  We are talking about a stop difference from 3200-25600.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.