WPQ issue 3 received

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

As usual, bang-up job. Really liked the excerpts from American Waters.

So rare to get a diving magazine that's got zero 'fluff' articles about the newest gear this and the hottest resort that. The pictures speak for themselves. And I really like the continuing standard of showing fstop, exposure, and equipment for all shots. Helps this novice begin to relate what approach helps achieve what effect. (I may understand DOF vs. aperture 'intellectually', but no where near 'instinctively', and of course that will vary with full frame vs. crop sensor camera systems as well.)

Thanks again, Eric and team. Money well spent!

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

As usual, bang-up job. Really liked the excerpts from American Waters.

So rare to get a diving magazine that's got zero 'fluff' articles about the newest gear this and the hottest resort that. The pictures speak for themselves. And I really like the continuing standard of showing fstop, exposure, and equipment for all shots. Helps this novice begin to relate what approach helps achieve what effect. (I may understand DOF vs. aperture 'intellectually', but no where near 'instinctively', and of course that will vary with full frame vs. crop sensor camera systems as well.)

Thanks again, Eric and team. Money well spent!

Got mine also, and it looks great. (D$%n Post Office put a bit of a wave in the middle, but a couple of books straightened in out nicely so far. :) )

I have the issues in my permanent collection on my diving coffee table :)

Was great to see the OWU and DEPP shots and it is real nice to just get a bunch of high quality shots like you mentioned. Great stuff.

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hey guys. Glad you like the new issue! I've updated the magazine website with information about issue 3: http://tinyurl.com/4dy459

You can also download a PDF preview from there.

Posted Image

By the way, if you have more feedback, please leave it here so we can publish it in the Letters to the Editor section. No one seems to be writing in directly. :)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

No one seems to be writing in directly. :)

LOL. Okay I will make sure to use the WPQ site so the people at WPQ do not feel ignored or unloved (except for you, see you have seen the posts here :) ) But great job...

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

Yes great job; the American Waters spread is outstanding, and I'd like a print of the cover - what a great image.
And I got my first two pics in a magazine ever. :)
(Even though it won't contribute to the mortgage payment)

Edited by loftus, 04 June 2008 - 05:55 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Yes great job; the American Waters spread is outstanding, and I'd like a print of the cover - what a great image.
And I got my first two pics in a magazine ever. :)
(Even though it won't contribute to the mortgage payment)

Saw it and congrats. Really love that Manatee head shot....

As to the mortgage the fund to get Dean a trip to warm waters has not been too successful so far, but we can try one for the mortgage if you like :)

#7 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Finally received mine and I am absorbing the beautiful images and feeling little squigglies in my belly just wanting to skip ut of the office, grab the gear and go shooting. How wonderful that there is a publication that is so inspiring!!! (A little annoyed at the Id 10 T mailman for the having attempted to fold the magazine tho...)

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

So ERIC if I order on line can post to me over here in Australia?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 Halabriel

Halabriel

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi

I dragged myself home from a punishing night shift in the ER, through torrential rains which spoiled my planned dive this morning, and flopped onto the couch intending to go to sleep. Then, behold the mail lady - a vision in blue who delivered WPQ3. So now I sit here, inspired by the breath-taking images before me, all thoughts of sleep banished. I am off to the local dive school now to drink coffee and enthuse about photography. Thank you to all the contributors, a truly amazing edition.

Hal

Oh yeah BTW
Does anyone know how to contact Alex Kirkbride? I want to purchase some of theses images - especially the cover shot
H
Canon Ixus 950is in WPDC-15 housing with Inon accessorization (D2000s strobe, UWL105 and UCL165 lenses).

#10 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

I've asked Alex what the process is for purchasing prints. I'll let you know!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#11 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

From Alex:

They can go to my website, here's the direct link and see what's available. The instructions are on that page.
Many thanks!

Alex

http://www.alexkirkb...rints/index.htm

eric cheng
www | journal | photos