4 replies to this topic

#1 grahamcopeland

grahamcopeland

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Directing, Cinematography, Filmmaking

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I own a 5D Mark3 and the Tokina 11-16. I know the tokina is a crop sensor lens, but it works fine on Full frame, even to 15mm with little vignetting.

I am wondering if anyone has experience or an opinion about this setup to get my in the the water with camera.

Ikelite - 6871.03 Underwater Housing for Canon 5D Mark III 

Ikelite - 5510.45 8" Dome Port 
Ikelite - 5510.22 Port Body for 8" Dome Port

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!

#2 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Personally, i have never been a fan of Ikelite housings. Bought a couple over the years but quickly upgraded to a better housing.

They do the job and the price is OK but the controls, being generic, tend to be fiddly, awkwardly placed and not very precise. If using for shots when you have lots of setup time, they are fine. But, if you want a housing that is quick to operate, the purpose-built housings are probably better.

With enough practice, you might become comfortable with using the controls.

Regards
Peter

#3 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I use that setup with my 5D Mk II and enjoy it. (Actually, I use the 5510.24 port body, which I happened to have, and it works fine.) Setup is easy, as you don't need to bother putting on the zoom gear. You might want to make some kind of felt ring to put around the front of the lens to block reflections from the white ring off the dome port. Or just put a thing strip of black tape around that ring. It's definitely an issue in certain conditions.

Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#4 grahamcopeland

grahamcopeland

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Directing, Cinematography, Filmmaking

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thank you so much for the thoughts and sharing your experiences with me. I'm probably going to move forward with this setup. I will post an update when the stuff shows up. Please let me know if anyone else has any thoughts!

Thank you again for your time and advice :)

#5 losbh

losbh

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hi Graham,

not exactly what you've asked for, but I shoot with a 5dmk2 and a 10-17mm tokina, into an Ikelite housing.

The reasons of my choice :

- I don't shoot enough UW to go with a lighter and nice looking Aquatica or Nauticam. Also I'm not sure I'll make better images with an aluminum housing. But I can be wrong.

- choice of the Tok 10-17mm came from its availability to CFWA, shorter than the 15mm/2,8 I had before.

- The port is a 5' (very well)  homemade by Bill underwtarcamerastuff, which makes the setup lighter than with a 8' dome.

- so far, so good. I'm happy.

- as soon as I find a better setup I'll probably go for it, but I'm not searching. (maybe a sexy, small, 100D with housing (?) and lightweight pair of Inons.)

But today, I don't see the point to sell a kidney to afford it.

samples on my website.

Laurent