• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bremner

bremner

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

I'm looking for a tray+arm to to attach a small strobe (inon S2000 or S&S YS01) to an Olympus PT-EP13 housing.

I see most of the "starter packages" using some kind of flex arm on a polycarbonate or lightweight aluminum tray .

For roughly the same price, Meikon [1] is selling a basic single segment aluminum tray + arm.

This seems like the kind of thing where a lesser known manufacturer might be a reasonable choice. Aside from weight (I guess the polycarbonate setup is lighter), any other considerations/opinions?

[1] https://meikon.com.h...usings-advanced

#2 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

I would use a flat AL tray with holes in each end to mount which ever arm system you choose.  I don't think the articulated knuckle arms can be locked in tight?  ULCS and Ikelite have many different parts to put together.

The little extra weight a metal tray would add, also balances the rig so its upright.

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:57 AM

Where are you located? I have a ULCS handle and flat tray sitting around that I could sell cheap. You'd still have to add a pair of clamps and an arm, though.

#4 bremner

bremner

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

@Vondo I'm in eastern Canada (E3B 1N9). Not sure what the postage would be like.

#5 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

I'm looking for a tray+arm to to attach a small strobe (inon S2000 or S&S YS01) to an Olympus PT-EP13 housing.

I see most of the "starter packages" using some kind of flex arm on a polycarbonate or lightweight aluminum tray .

For roughly the same price, Meikon [1] is selling a basic single segment aluminum tray + arm.

This seems like the kind of thing where a lesser known manufacturer might be a reasonable choice. Aside from weight (I guess the polycarbonate setup is lighter), any other considerations/opinions?

[1] https://meikon.com.h...usings-advanced

The Meikon/CamDive one piece tray/handle is simple, robust, cheap.I have one on my Olympus TG-4. It comes with a 1-inch ball. 

I'd avoid the articulated arms. Several people I know have invested in them and then stopping using them. 

#6 bremner

bremner

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

The Meikon/CamDive one piece tray/handle is simple, robust, cheap.I have one on my Olympus TG-4. It comes with a 1-inch ball. 

I'd avoid the articulated arms. Several people I know have invested in them and then stopping using them. 

Which articulated arms do you mean? The flex arms, the ball+clamp arms, or both?

#7 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Which articulated arms do you mean? The flex arms, the ball+clamp arms, or bo4th?

The locline stuff.

#8 bremner

bremner

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:41 AM

The locline stuff.

OK thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was interested in.