nikon d500 d850 dx fx

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 goose

goose

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and not much else.!!

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

Hi all, 

Little late to the party....

Firstly I noticed the original post of D500 v's D850, so lets compare on a practical underwater lets go diving mind set. 

Bear in mind I use the D800 and will not part with it unless a camera knocks it out of the water, so much so it would be worth upgrading.  I housed a D90 and wanted to house a D700 and was told not to bother so you kinda get where I'm coming from.!

D500 is cropped D850 is full frame, so collected choice is to change all your lenses etc like i did. Read not above. Never looked back big expense but worth every penny.

I noticed the Battery life on the D500 is shockingly bad to the tune of 600 shots thats two dives in my book, and one less battery change than needs be. 

Would I be right to say that the D800 can flash sync to 1/320 where the D850 and D500 can't and will only go to 1/250.?

Other than that then its a choice of the two, if you've always had cropped then stay as you are.

You cannot compare image quality on any camera and say its the camera, as optically you will always get a better more optically pleasing image with a prime lens as to a zoom lens say 16-35mm.

To compare the full frame 16-35mm to a prime lens is just simply wrong as the two will not stand up together. I own both for the 800 and the 15mm fish eye is the tits compared to the 16-35mm zoom lens, but then I'm using that as more of a portaight lens under water, but this is about the two cameras and not about the lenses we all use underwater..

I said all that without swearing.!!! :clapping:

Goose.

My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#22 sinetwo

sinetwo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:29 AM

Hi all, 

Little late to the party....

Firstly I noticed the original post of D500 v's D850, so lets compare on a practical underwater lets go diving mind set. 

Bear in mind I use the D800 and will not part with it unless a camera knocks it out of the water, so much so it would be worth upgrading.  I housed a D90 and wanted to house a D700 and was told not to bother so you kinda get where I'm coming from.!

D500 is cropped D850 is full frame, so collected choice is to change all your lenses etc like i did. Read not above. Never looked back big expense but worth every penny.

I noticed the Battery life on the D500 is shockingly bad to the tune of 600 shots thats two dives in my book, and one less battery change than needs be. 

Would I be right to say that the D800 can flash sync to 1/320 where the D850 and D500 can't and will only go to 1/250.?

Other than that then its a choice of the two, if you've always had cropped then stay as you are.

You cannot compare image quality on any camera and say its the camera, as optically you will always get a better more optically pleasing image with a prime lens as to a zoom lens say 16-35mm.

To compare the full frame 16-35mm to a prime lens is just simply wrong as the two will not stand up together. I own both for the 800 and the 15mm fish eye is the tits compared to the 16-35mm zoom lens, but then I'm using that as more of a portaight lens under water, but this is about the two cameras and not about the lenses we all use underwater..

I said all that without swearing.!!! :clapping:

Goose.

Can't say I agree with the battery argument. Just turn off the battery draining features and use an authentic battery and you'll get more than 600 shots.

Many users have reported a significant increase in battery life by turning off GPS etc.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

#23 goose

goose

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography and not much else.!!

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

To be fair its not really an argument; more to the point its a fact.!

In order to keep things fair you must do the same to the D850 If you did the same to the D850 i.e. turning off GPS etc. you would still fall short of 600 shots, compared to the D850, thats a lot of shots if your doing lets say a wedding or a horse riding event for example like i sometimes find myself doing. Even underwater it still holds true.

Its a bit like have two cars with the same fuel tank and spec {both cameras are not a million miles apart} but one is more efficient than the other, the smart money goes on the car that does the most miles for your money.!!

Is this a good basis to switch cameras maybe not. Is this a factor to weigh up when choosing a camera, yes because we are now on the verge of semi/pro cameras, but most pros I know do not use a D500 and need to keep shooting as long as possible, The D5 is the choice but thats a different kettle of fish and this post was about D500v' D850 and upgrading to either or.

Still havet swore.! :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Goose

My Kit:- NikonD800 Nikon D90 Nikon Prime 105mm & 60mm macro, Sigma 15mm Nikon 16-35mm Nikon 12-24mm wide angle, Tokina 10-17mm (the tit's of a lens) Nauticam NA-800 Aqutica AD90 housing, coupled with X2 Z240 mofo strobes G.S.E. 360 Ring Flash.

#24 sinetwo

sinetwo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

To be fair its not really an argument; more to the point its a fact.!

In order to keep things fair you must do the same to the D850 If you did the same to the D850 i.e. turning off GPS etc. you would still fall short of 600 shots, compared to the D850, thats a lot of shots if your doing lets say a wedding or a horse riding event for example like i sometimes find myself doing. Even underwater it still holds true.

Its a bit like have two cars with the same fuel tank and spec {both cameras are not a million miles apart} but one is more efficient than the other, the smart money goes on the car that does the most miles for your money.!!

Is this a good basis to switch cameras maybe not. Is this a factor to weigh up when choosing a camera, yes because we are now on the verge of semi/pro cameras, but most pros I know do not use a D500 and need to keep shooting as long as possible, The D5 is the choice but thats a different kettle of fish and this post was about D500v' D850 and upgrading to either or.

Still havet swore.! :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Goose

I'm fullt aware of like for like comparison and what that entails.

You're trying to compare a camera that's 3 times the price, so if you get 1800 vs 1200 shots on one than the other (going by reviews), then yes, you should expect more from a camera 3 times the price. I personally wouldn't expect the difference to be that much but hey ho.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, d500, d850, dx, fx