Photo
- - - - -

how to service/ disassemble push button on Sea&Sea housing?

flood leak D300 Sea&Sea

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 photon38

photon38

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

During my last dive with my Sea&Sea MDX 300 housing I discovered a leak at about 20m depth, only a few drops but enough to damage the D300 display. I then had another dive with the empty housing and it leaked again. I am almost sure its one of the multi selector push buttons that is causing the leak. The best thing to do I guess would be to do a full service on the housing. Unfortunately its impossible right now because I live on a small island in the indean ocean (great for diving though...) , so I am obliged to solve the problem on my own unless I stop using the housing for the next couple of months which I would like to avoid.

· How to disassemble the push button (see photo), to clean all parts and possibly replace the o ring?
In order to access the C clip I first need to take off the plastic rod but I cannot figure out how.
Is it possible to take off the C clip without destroying it?

· Where can I purchase replacement parts ( I guess I need a new o-ring for the push button and a new retaining ring) / I was searching on the internet but without success, I always bump into maintenance kits (with retaining ring, spring, o-ring ) for Ikelite housings but I couldnt find anything for Sea&Sea housings.

Thank you very much in advance for you help

DSC_7144_2000.jpg

#2 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hi, I am working from memory.  About 6 months ago my house guest had a Sea&Sea MDX 300 housing w him, one button had a minor leak so we removed and cleaned the push buttons.

First I remember unscrewing each button from the outside of the housing, as the button was screwed in from the outside; I used pliers with masking tape on the jaws so as not to scratch the button.  The button  sat in a hollow tube with slots on each side, so it could be unscrewed with flat blade screwdriver.  It was easy work.  

It is important to take photos of the buttons in the housing, inside and out,  before you start, and of each step as you go along, for reference when you reassemble, as each button has its function labelled on its tip.

If you need new O rings, measure the ID and the thickness of the rubber in mm, with a digital caliper. As a rough guess, the ID may be 2 mm and the tickness is 1 mm.    I buy mine from Daro at the ORing Store, excellent prices and service.  www.theoringstore.com

Good luck!   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flood, leak, D300, Sea&Sea