• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

ADEX is this weekend and quite a few Wetpixel members are going to be attending.
Barring any other event, I've suggest we meet at the Admaker Bar at 51/51 Lang Suan Road at 8.30pm for drinks. The first round will be on Wetpixel. That's Saturday the 28th at 8.30pm.
Please keep an eye on this thread should there be any venue and time changes. See you all there. Sawa Dee!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:39 AM

Is that 8:30pm on Friday 27th or Sat 28th Drew?

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

I want to go...

If for nothing but to see Mooney fall out a window again..

;)

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:32 AM

Is that 8:30pm on Friday 27th or Sat 28th Drew?

Hmmm. The thread title says 28th. (but whoever reads the thread titles) <_<

Just a word of caution about meeting plans. BITEC is about 20km out of the city to the Southeast, in one of the most congested pockets of the city, especially with evening traffic flowing in from the Southeast Seaboard. Lang Suan is also a very congested spot in the middle of the shopping center district. As this weekend is month-end, people will have money in their pockets. This always means worse traffic.

You will need to allow plenty of travel time between the two. Impossible to predict but could be anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

Regards
Peter

#5 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Hmm... tempted to hop on a plane out to BKK for the weekend...

edit: Anyone know which video housing manufacturers will be there? Gates? I presume the few Asian ones will be there. Wouldn't mind checking out any HC7 housings in person.

2nd edit: Oops, silly me, found the exhibitors list for ADEX... David at Scubacam was nice enough to confirm that they'll have a HC7 housing on display...

Edited by pakman, 24 April 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

Just a word of caution about meeting plans. BITEC is about 20km out of the city to the Southeast, in one of the most congested pockets of the city, especially with evening traffic flowing in from the Southeast Seaboard. Lang Suan is also a very congested spot in the middle of the shopping center district. As this weekend is month-end, people will have money in their pockets. This always means worse traffic.
You will need to allow plenty of travel time between the two. Impossible to predict but could be anything from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

Thanks for the headsup Peter. That's why I set it at 8.30pm. ADEX shuts down at 6.30. Anyone with sense will take the shuttle to the On Nut BTS station for the train back into the city and not travel by road during rush hour in BKK.
I'm thinking of changing the venue to somewhere close to a BTS station. But that would mean Sukhumvit or one of the hotel bars which doesn't appeal to me. Admaker has food and drinks and live band and the mix of expat and locals makes it rather innocuous for everyone (especially those with significant others attached ;) :) )

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hey guys. Jason Heller will be there representing DivePhotoGuide, and will be taking care of round 2!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#8 pummkin

pummkin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Photography of course! Writing, travelling, illustrating.....

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hello, I'm checking in with you all again after a year of sabbatical from diving forums. I will be at ADEX, stationed at the Tourism Malaysia booth under PYO Dive so please drop by if you happen to be there. I'm not sure if I can join you at the watering hole as I'm travelling with the Malaysian contingent & they might need me to stick around for discussions after the show. Hope to meet some of you far-off people soon!!!
If I'm not here, I'm underwater...!
Samsung NX100 looking for a house...!
Panasonic Lumix LX3, 10Bar, Fantasea Lights
Olympus C5050Z, PT15, YS55

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

So who's taking care of round 3? I'm always up for a freebie.

Anyone who thinks they might qualify for a free tradesman's entrance must pre-register on the ADEX site. My registration confirmation came through pretty quickly (same day). Friday is trade only.

Couple of questions Drew...

Is the Admaker bar near a BTS or subway station or is it a taxi job?

Are you talking about a shuttle bus or what? Is there one OUT to the venue from On Nut?

Finally anyone got any accommodation recommendations down Sukhumvit? Haven't booked my accommodation yet. Staying in Bangkok a few days after the show too and thinking of one of those "mansions" at around 1000 baht per night.

See you all there!

#10 NickJ

NickJ

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:NATURAL HISTORY
    PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEO
    SCUBA DIVING
    MOUNTAIN HIKING
    MUSIC
    COMPUTING

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm. The thread title says 28th. (but whoever reads the thread titles) <_<

Duh! Thanks for pointing out that I need to slow down Peter ;) China all last week, and typing this from Korea. Need to go diving again soon and get away from mobile phones, email, and 3 hour meetings with interpreters and guys in suits who don't speak English ....!

See you guys at the show - I'm the grey haired guy having a slow burn nervous breakdown, waaaaa :)

Sony RX100+Nauticam+Sea&Sea YS-D1; Sony FX1+Light and Motion BlueFin+SunRay Pro, Sony A1, Nikon D80

#11 lanwu

lanwu

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:31 AM

Yup getting back into town will be a little bit of a pain....should be there w/ the Marit & Andy from Misool

#12 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Drew, I have missed you again (!) - I am on todays 12.30 flight to the UK.

Have a great evening though

paul

#13 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well what the heck... Was able to get a last minute cheap weekend flight to BKK. Nice to get away from the torrential rains we've been getting in HK all this week. Will be checking out the show on Sat and will try to swing by Admaker to say hello to fellow Wetpixelers in town.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#14 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

bummer, I will be at the Adex on Saturday in the morning through lunch time but unfortunately I will be busy Saturday night ;)
It is one of those weekends where so many things are scheduled at the same time.
Boi
D2X, dual Ikelite DS 125 strobes with manual EV controllers, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 18-70mm, 60mm macro and macro 70-180mm. Subal housing
My Website:morboi.com

#15 peterbkk

peterbkk

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

I will be at ADEX on Friday afternoon.

I'll try to make it to Admakers on Saturday night but I have a deep dive scheduled for Sunday morning so it'll be Lemonade only for me...

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:20 AM

Ok guys and gals,
the directions to Admaker are:
Take BTS rail to Chitlom Station: the BTS station is on LangSuan Rd (don't go east). Admaker is on the left side of Langsuan road (facing south and following traffic). Langsuan is one way only.

Taxi: Langsuan Rd is busy but if you must take a taxi, just say Soi Langsuan and keep left (sai = thai for left). Don't miss Admaker or you'll have to go round again via Wireless road and Pleonchit Rd...not something you want to do. If you pass Opera Cafe, you missed it. Get out and walk back up the road.

See you all there. Remember 1st round is on Wetpixel.

Drew

#17 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:13 AM

Taxi: Langsuan Rd is busy but if you must take a taxi, just say Soi Langsuan and keep left (thwah = thai for left).

Drew,
hmmm must be the other left..... syeh (kind of rhyme with bye) would be left, thwah thingy is "right"
How many drinks have you had already ;)
Boi
D2X, dual Ikelite DS 125 strobes with manual EV controllers, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 18-70mm, 60mm macro and macro 70-180mm. Subal housing

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

Oh you're so funny Boi. As for travelling from the show, with the traffic situation, my suggestion is to take the free shuttle buses from Bitec (the convention site) to On Nut BTS station then take the BTS back to central BKK. Taxis would probably take too long.
Boi, take the car and go via Ayuthaya. ;)

Drew

#19 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

Actually, from Bitec, you can get on the inner city express way very easily and get off at Pleonchit exit, both Soi Lang Suan and my condo are only a few hundred meters off Pleonchit exit ;) so no need to go via Ayuthaya :)

BTS is not a bad idea but with all the construction for the continuation of BTS at that end, the traffic can be pretty bad getting to the BTS. Personally I am avoiding that end of Sukumvit Road like a plaque!
Boi

#20 col

col

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

My wife and I might drop in - keen to check out the dive scene here as we've just moved over from Jakarta.

Will be at ADEX prob on Sun in between house hunting duties.
Colin Lee | zenfolio/colinlee