Photo

Does o-ring on port covered by extension ring require maintenance?

nauticam

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grapes

grapes

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

I'm a total newbie, putting together my first housing with ports, a nauticam for sony a6500. the macro port option I chose for my 90mm required an extension ring. The extension ring addition is sealed by the port's original o-ring, a clever design. But, I'm just wondering how often the port o-ring might need inspection? Not a big deal to remove the extension ring, though it does take some time, with 16 screws to remove and replace. So I don't want to do this more than necessary but don't want to miss important maintenance either as i could see that o-ring easily fading to out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2182 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

Hey Matt

That does sound a bit of a job!

Unless there are specific manufacturer recommendations for that set-up, this would be my suggestion:

I guess to an extent it depends how much you dive. If you’re out every day or every week, it’d be worth checking and re-greasing. the o-ring maybe once every couple of weeks.

But if you’re only diving 3-4 trips a year, I’d be tempted to disassemble it after the trip, clean and re-grease and store the o-ring separately; then rebuild before the next trip. If it’s a 7-10 day trip I’d leave it alone whilst away. If longer, I think I’d check it and do a clean and re-grease. Much would depend on the dive environment.

With o-rings, I think the trick is to make sure they are clean and retain their flexibility through greasing. Don’t over lubricate as that attracts dust and muck to stick to them and doesn’t contribute towards the seal.

Hope that helps a bit.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nauticam