• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:19 AM

My D300 is 7+ yrs old with lots of shots taken.  It doesn't look like a "D400" will ever show up.  I'd like to stay with the DX format vs going to FX, but would like more pixels.

What's some good reasons to change sides & become a Canon user?  Is this my best chance to upgrade for the foreseeable future?

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2164 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hi jcclink

Don't you have cash tied up in DX lenses? Isn't there an investment that you might lose if you switch to Canon? 

To my way of thinking there really isn't much difference between Canon and Nikon. They're both excellent. I'd argue it generally comes down to which feels better in your hand. And then how much have you already invested in lenses and other accessories. If you no longer like the feel of Nikon, move on.... 

Have you checked out the D7000 series? I read they are great - and you could still use your DX.

But hey, I'm not a Nikon shareholder. Although maybe I should be!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 Simppu

Simppu

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Looking at your collection of lenses, I would also recommend looking at the D7100 if you want to stay on crop format. I'm shooting Canon (550D) and my upgrade in 2015 will be either the new 7D mkII (depending on what the reviews will show) or then just housing my "surface camera" 5D mkIII. My wife will of course kill me if I house the 5D, because then I have to buy a new camera for surface photos.

Canon 550D, 5D mkIII, Canon 16-35/4L, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60 mm, Canon 100mm L, Sigma 15 mm, Ikelite, 2 x Sea&Sea YS-D1.

"Everybody has the right to be stupid, some people just abuse the privilege"

http://johan.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Sukellus/

#4 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Tim,  I understand what you're saying.  Hoping I could sell things that I no longer could use (not only DX's).  Probably for not for a lot of $$ due to age, but any amount would help.  I'm also hoping for good video with a new camera (D300 has none).  I've generally heard that Canon has better video than Nikon for this level camera.  For me at this stage it's more about features & a few more pixels than brand.  Like to stay with Nikon but.........

You're correct that a new lens package would be a big part of a brand change.  New bodies, housing, maybe ports & misc costs would be similar for either brand.

Edited by jcclink, 17 September 2014 - 09:23 AM.

S&S YS110's & YS27's

#5 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

J - You need 2 identical camera bodies anyway so you have a backup  :)  On a trip several years I had 2 D70 bodies fail in the same manner over a 10 day period.  Something about the shelf life of a micro processor that controls read/write to the CF card.

Edited by jcclink, 17 September 2014 - 05:17 PM.

S&S YS110's & YS27's

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2164 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Tim,  I understand what you're saying.  Hoping I could sell things that I no longer could use (not only DX's).  Probably for not for a lot of $$ due to age, but any amount would help.  I'm also hoping for good video with a new camera (D300 has none).  I've generally heard that Canon has better video than Nikon for this level camera.  For me at this stage it's more about features & a few more pixels than brand.  Like to stay with Nikon but.........

You're correct that a new lens package would be a big part of a brand change.  New bodies, housing, maybe ports & misc costs would be similar for either brand.

Hehehe, you just want some new toys  :mocking:  And why not?!?!? Good for you  :crazy:

Enjoy the hunt - and the buying!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

My wife will of course kill me if I house the 5D, because then I have to buy a new camera for surface photos.

Hi partner,

Not sure I understand, why?  The new vacuum systems changed my feeling on that.  I'm much more comfortable putting a 5DIII with expensive lens in the ocean now.  I haven't yet but I'm thinking about it.  Of course we could still have problems but I'm feeling much better about not having to carry two bodies, etc.  

By the way, I'm not getting into the brand conversation.   :innocent:

Cheers,    

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 witchieblackcat

witchieblackcat

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

Have you considered a D300s? It's a touch newer than a bog standard D300 and may do until the somewhat mythical D400 turns up (although NikonRumors.com reckons it might this year or next). Personally, I intend to convert totally to FX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alistair

#9 Otara2

Otara2

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

I think the only significant reason to choose to change brands would be for video/fast liveview, the servo Af with video is pretty impressive to me, but you get the best out of it with STM lenses, and only the 10-18mm STM is going to be much use u/w.    The D7100 has more pixels, better dynamic range, and you're already set lenswise.

As a now 48 hour veteran owner of the 7D2, I think for u/w alone it doesnt make much sense to change brands - if you did,  the 70D would probaby cover most of the real advantages, ie servo AF video and liveview that can do fast AF, and its about half the price here for the body.   

For abovewater for birds etc its great, but so far Im considering sticking with the 7D u/w even if the 2 does fit in my old housing.

#10 maelstrom

maelstrom

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cycling, photography

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:32 PM

I have been very happy with my 70D underwater.  Why pay more for land shooting features like weatherproofing and high ISO performance when you are putting it in a housing and using strobes.

Hal

#11 DavidScubadiver

DavidScubadiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

I own a D300 and loved it for underwater shooting (just posted my housing for sale).  However, topside I prefer the way the Canon cameras shoot. I find that they have better skin tones and while that may not seem important, I think people look better when I shot using my less expensive Canon than my more expensive and heavier Nikon.  I am not a professional. I shoot JPG and I know very little about photography, so take this for what it is worth, which is not much, I realize.

My suggestion is to buy the camera at  Costco,shoot with it and if you love love love it, you now to make the switch. If you don't, stick with Nikon since you already are familiar with that camera.

Nikon D300/Ikelite housing and Ds-125 Strobe
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon AFS 60mm

My Blog