• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

I'd like to attach a magic filter to the rear of my 7-14 lens and have been told to use hot glue by someone who has done it before but I thought double sided tape would make for a lot more flexibility for when u don't have any access to hot glue, as would be the situation on many dive vacations. Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts on the tape? Could take be the wrong move, could it be too thick making the filter touch the sensor?
All input is much appreciated!
Attached a file of how it would look with glue.
Cheers!

Attached Images

• IMG_0288.JPG

#2 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

I'd like to attach a magic filter to the rear of my 7-14 lens and have been told to use hot glue by someone who has done it before but I thought double sided tape would make for a lot more flexibility for when u don't have any access to hot glue, as would be the situation on many dive vacations. Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts on the tape? Could take be the wrong move, could it be too thick making the filter touch the sensor?
All input is much appreciated!
Attached a file of how it would look with glue.
Cheers!

I used to use tape to attach the filter, then I ended up buying the filter holder made for the 8mm fisheye lens and installed that on the back the lens. I don't see any reason to use glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#3 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I used to use tape to attach the filter, then I ended up buying the filter holder made for the 8mm fisheye lens and installed that on the back the lens. I don't see any reason to use glue.

Great! Yeah I heard about that too but I couldn't find any tutorial on how to do it and I'm not to keen to go all trial and error on my precious lens haha!

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Obtaining the filter holder is quite easy. As to fitting its (from memory) just 3 screws to remove the current back plate and fit the 8mm filter holder. Many mention about filing off this and that to get it to fit, but mine just screwed straight on

Regards - Richard

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#5 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Obtaining the filter holder is quite easy. As to fitting its (from memory) just 3 screws to remove the current back plate and fit the 8mm filter holder. Many mention about filing off this and that to get it to fit, but mine just screwed straight on
Regards - Richard

H,m that's odd. Yeah from what I've read it's a whole process to get it to fit, I was just reading what was probably 2 whole pages of instructions on how it's done and went meh fuck it.
Anyone else had the same experience as trickster when it came to installing the filter holder?

#6 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

H,m that's odd. Yeah from what I've read it's a whole process to get it to fit, I was just reading what was probably 2 whole pages of instructions on how it's done and went meh fuck it.
Anyone else had the same experience as trickster when it came to installing the filter holder?

I just changed out the filter folder the way trickster described. I remember seeing mention of needing an additional plastic spacer/shim - but I did not find that step necessary.
Here's that thread:
https://www.dpreview.../thread/3480692

#7 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

I just changed out the filter folder the way trickster described. I remember seeing mention of needing an additional plastic spacer/shim - but I did not find that step necessary.
Here's that thread:https://www.dpreview.../thread/3480692

Thanks bob! I'm having issues viewing the photos in the thread, apparently I need to purchase some shit from photobucket to do it. You wouldn't happen to have the thread saved or have an upgraded account already would you?

#8 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks bob! I'm having issues viewing the photos in the thread, apparently I need to purchase some shit from photobucket to do it. You wouldn't happen to have the thread saved or have an upgraded account already would you?

It's an issue with the OP's account. Click on the "view original" link below each pic and you can see them.

#9 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

From where can one purchase this filter holder?

Thanks, Wolfgang

#10 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

Thanks, Wolfgang

Depending on which country you are in. The part is easily obtained from the nearest Panasonic Repair Center. The DPReview forum above mentions the part number required, of if like me you have the 8mm lens - I just swapped them over.

Regards - Richard

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#11 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, Wolfgang

I found it here: http://www.geissler-service.de/ I emailed them yesterday and they said it's 13 Euros for the part and 5 for shipping domestically. Not yet sure how much it will be to ship internationally but it's definitely cheaper and easier than getting it from the us.
Gonna be ordering one to Sweden on Monday.

#12 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

02635AE2-3F76-4C3D-A515-260FE0446DCA.jpeg
Got my filter holder a few days ago, much neater than messing around with tape. Thanks yall!

#13 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

Pajjpen,

Do they have it listed on website ? (cannot find it...) or did you just arrange it all via email ?

As could use the holder as well...would love to take 7-14 at night for some fluro shots :) ...as currently is not an option since no way of attaching yellow filter. Tried to fashion some external holding arm to mount a bigger piece of yellow plexi that came with Nightsea, but this did not end up well...current+sand = plexi rubbing on the dome...had a lot of polishing to do :D

Cheers,

m

Edited by makar0n, 31 October 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#14 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Pajjpen,

Do they have it listed on website ? (cannot find it...) or did you just arrange it all via email ?
As could use the holder as well...would love to take 7-14 at night for some fluro shots :) ...as currently is not an option since no way of attaching yellow filter. Tried to fashion some external holding arm to mount a bigger piece of yellow plexi that came with Nightsea, but this did not end up well...current+sand = plexi rubbing on the dome...had a lot of polishing to do :D

Cheers,
m

I arranged it all via their email. It ended up costing me around 30 euros with shipping. I had never thought about taking fluro videos but now that u mention it I might pick up the appropriate filter for that too!

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#15 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

Thanks to all - this forum is indeed very informative - I just ordered the holder from the dealer Pajpen suggested and will install it on the Panasonic 7-14mm...     :drink:

Does anyone know, whether there is a similar holder existing for the Zuiko 8mm FE?

Wolfgang

#16 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

I just got the filterholder (part No.: VXQ1911; was about 30 Euro including postage) and mounted it to my Pana 7-14mm: as the others say - just unscrew 3 screws, remove old part and replace - no additional trickery, very easy...

Unfortunately I ordered only one from Foto Geissler - seems to me that the part would also fit to the Zuiko 8mm FE: Did anyone test this out?

=> I do not have time now to try out by myself, since I have to pack for 16 days diving vacation in Marsa Alam/Egypt (will leave tonight), maybe I take the screwdriver with me...

Wolfgang :bye: :bye: :bye:

#17 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Today (27.11.) I tryed to mount the filterholder to the Zuiko 8mm FE. Although the holder is very similar to the endogenous plastic part the holder does not match. Maybe the holder can be adjusted, the holes for the three screws seem to match, but no time and tools now...

Wolfgang

#18 Timz

Timz

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

Hi, just curious how would the magic filter perform with strobes??

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk