• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle

Eagle

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am just starting out, already have an Olympus XZ-1 in a Olympus housing and am looking to add a strobe on a small budget. Can anyone suggest if it would be better to go with 2 cheaper, manual strobes or upgrade to 1, maybe more powerful strobe with TTL? Any suggestions?

Edited by Eagle, 12 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#2 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Depends on what you mean by cheap. I would go for 2 s2000's by Inon. Great macro and wide coverage for you there.

#3 Eagle

Eagle

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Was looking at the Inon S2000. However that would be for a single strobe setup. Was thinking possibly 2 Bonica G8-B's. Or the Intova ISS 4000 seems to be the same strobe. Anyone have any feedback on either of these?

#4 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

Stick with the Inon or Sea&Sea YS01, if you can afford it the YS110a is strobe that you would keep through several upgrades in cameras.

#5 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Sooner or later, you will want 2 good strobes based on your comments. If you buy one good one now, you are 1/2 way there. If you buy a cheap pair, you are still 100% away from your goal. I just finished a trip and worked on taking photo's with one strobe (while having 2 present). You can do a lot with one good strobe.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#6 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'd also opt for one good strobe now and add another later. Learning how to add strobe light to the ambient can be tricky and doing it with one strobe first makes the process less complicated. Besides, you will also learn when sometimes less is more - even with strobes!

Lee