• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nickthegreeek

nickthegreeek

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:21 AM

Hi all, I have just picked up a Canon 200d/sl2 and I'm hoping to take it UW one day but so far the only housing option I have found is the ikelite one... Current set up is for fiber optics so I'm not to keen on going down the ikelite path but I can't seem to find an alternative...

I know a lot of industry types are hanging out here and I wondered if any amongst you know if there are other manufacturers making or planning to make a housing for the 200d...

Or if anyone has one for sale of course..

Thanks for any info,

Nick

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:18 AM

I'm not an industry type :) but Easydive Leo3 universal housing supports your camera (among a few dozen others) and has fiber optic ports as well as electronic strobe connectors. On the downside, it costs €2990 for just the housing, before you add ports and other accessories, and while they have a less expensive offering (Leo II and Leo II Pro at half the price), those only have Nikonos 5-pin connectors, not fiber optics.

#3 nickthegreeek

nickthegreeek

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Well thanks very much for the info... The ikelite is looking more attractive now!

I thought sea and sea or someone similar might be planning one. Had emailed them but no answer...

Thanks again...

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

Just because you have a camera you like above water does not necessarily mean that it is the best option to try to house that camera.  Having said that a lot of people like the ikelite housings, but it means you need to deal with sync cables connecting either to ikelite strobes or other strobes that are compatible.  For example I believe you can connect the Z240/Z330 to an ikelite via sync cable - manual triggering only.

#5 nickthegreeek

nickthegreeek

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

Hi thanks for your response. To set the scene I currently run a Sony rx100 mk ii rig with ysd2s on fiber optic cables. I've always enjoyed shooting it and very happy with the results but I want to try switching to dslr to see what I can achieve. The 200d is as up to date a dslr as I can afford really. And I already have the tokina 10 17 so really all I need is a housing that allows for fiber optics.

I am more considering the ikelite again as I have read now that you can use a ttl to fiber otice converter device?? Sounds like it might be good option...

#6 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:57 AM

As you have already found out, 200D is not a widely supported underwater camera. I'd hazard a guess that as an entry-level SLR, housing manufacturers don't see much sense in investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into designing and producing housings for people who would spend thousands of housings, ports, lenses, strobes and other accessories, then save a few hundred on a camera body - this market is just not big enough to justify the investment of getting into it.

Note, however, that you can get a Sony A6xxx series mirrorless camera and a Meikon/SeaFrogs housing for it for less than the cost of the Ikelite 200D housing alone, and it will have optical sync plus the same Sony interface that you're already familiar with.

#7 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Hi thanks for your response. To set the scene I currently run a Sony rx100 mk ii rig with ysd2s on fiber optic cables. I've always enjoyed shooting it and very happy with the results but I want to try switching to dslr to see what I can achieve. The 200d is as up to date a dslr as I can afford really. And I already have the tokina 10 17 so really all I need is a housing that allows for fiber optics.

I am more considering the ikelite again as I have read now that you can use a ttl to fiber otice converter device?? Sounds like it might be good option...

I am only aware of a fibre optic to electric sync converter to trigger an ikelite strobe optically.  I believe the standard way to do this is to use a sync cable:

https://www.backscat...lite-to-Sea-and

The ikelite housing should have a connection between the camera hot shoe and the housing plug internal to the housing.  It is manual sync only.   Unfortunately for base model DSLR, the housing choice is limited, but go one level up to 700D series and there is much more choice available.