GH5S Better colour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

I have a friend who shoot Canon and he said the GH5S color is pretty nice (he only test drive the GH5S once). So for those who have GH5 and GH5S, you probably need to compare, and color grade them slightly different. I think the GH5S color probably close to the Canon.

Skip to 5:50 in the video and go from there (the whole video has lots of useful info as well):

Edited by kc_moses, 05 April 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#2 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, the vectorscope comparison is pretty interesting. Having less of a green tint could definitely benefit underwater footage, but the differences aren't astronomical -- I imagine you could tweak the GH5 to be pretty similar to the GH5s just using the G-M and A-B WB adjustments..

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

The colours at first look are completely identical, if just looking at charts - it did throw a few people off on the initial reviews.

But as said. The different is so so slight they are easily fixed in your NLE. I wonder if the tint option / white balance adjustments in the camera would be enough

Quick go with his video (which is already mashed by YouTube compression)

Uncorrected:
6ef69b0b897002dd927fca6f14b9b359.jpg

Corrected:
c591948036748c553552c4ba61c1e4d5.jpg

Minimum adjustments needed in FCPX.

I need to spend some time on a trip with both and do some side by sides, but as I only have one housing. It’s gonna have to be a shallow yo-yo dive to get the same lighting, depth.

TBH the colour improvements wasn’t / isn’t one of the things that draws me to the GH5s. It’s mainly the increase in FoV and low light for ambient shooting, but for most of my diving (of the little this time of the month) I’ll be sticking with the GH5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:50 AM

Just looking at the skin tone, the GH5S is a bit warmer, which would yield some benefit if the custom white balance is not execute perfectly. Richard, have you found a way to use the speedbooster in the housing? My friend tried it once, using the GH5 with the Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35mm. I forgot which port he used and it does require some tinkering.

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

Richard, have you found a way to use the speedbooster in the housing?

No, I haven’t as I don’t own any Canon glass and prefer using native glass for the auto corrections, and the rest of the goodies (CA, distortion correction etc)

But I know there is a port now available going from n85 to n120 specify for using the SpeedBooster:

https://www.nauticam...ter-ultra-0-71x

As to the colours. Looking again at the differences this morning. There is a ~2% increase in exposure on the GH5s also which also affects the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com