• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I've pretty much had it with Lightroom, I think. Subscriptions irritate me...they are a nice money grab for Adobe, Working in the cloud is useless if you do a lot of travel to faraway locations; sufficient bandwidth for simple emails is often challenging.

I'm looking at the new ON1 RAW. Any experience or opinions?

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Right there with you on being forced to the subscription on Lightroom.  I was thinking of Exposure X3.

The free trial looks appealing.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Fully agreeing. I for sure do not like the subscription.

The worrying issue is what will happen with the Classic Version.

Will it disappear in a few years?

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1879 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

You might take a look at MacPhun which is quite nice or Darkroom which is free and also quite user friendly

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

I feel the same, but what do you do with your years of edited images?  Yeah, you can export them as full resolution JPG etc, but seriously who is going to do that with thousands of images?  It was so painful going from Aperture to Lightroom that I just cannot imagine another migration.  If there was a way to preserve nondestructive edits, I'd look at switching too.

#6 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

I feel the same, but what do you do with your years of edited images?  Yeah, you can export them as full resolution JPG etc, but seriously who is going to do that with thousands of images?  It was so painful going from Aperture to Lightroom that I just cannot imagine another migration.  If there was a way to preserve nondestructive edits, I'd look at switching too.

I don 't know. Valid point. I guess there is a market for someone to convert a LR Catalog to some other format.

I've played with Macphun (the product is called Luminar). it does not have the importing/cataloging/sorting/organizational aspect of LR.

I'm going to play with ON1 (my first few tries crashed...bad karma), Exposure X3 and Darkroom, too.But Darkroom looks to be optimized for businesses, and not my kind of workflow and needs. So far Exposure X3 looks sweet, but it is $149 so costs more than LR! The question is, do i need a new copy each year?

Right now I'd say the contest is between Exposure X3 and LR; ON1 may be in the game if I can get it working. 

Edited by tursiops, 02 December 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#7 Aotus

Aotus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:cave diving

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

i've been using on1 for about a week now. i'm a novice, but found it easier to get around than my trial version of lightroom, and the many many youtube video tutorials have been a gold mine for me. that said, on1 is a little buggy. there are times when i'm adjusting a slider and my image goes purple or something, and there is one image that almost always shows a weirdly inverted filter in the preview, though that goes away when i open the image. i am hoping that all these quirks get worked out as the 2018 version matures, and i guess i'm willing to cope with them in light of the LR CC going subscription-based and the very high price of capture one.

#8 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

I've tried several alternatives. I've decided to stick with LR 6.14 (non-subscription) until either (a) I can't use it anymore, or (b) something better comes along. Option (a) could be (i) new camera, new RAW converter needed, or (ii) new computer with new OS, current LR will not load.

I'm heavily weighted on this decision by not being able to convert all my LR catalog edits, and by not wanting to go through another learning curve.

#9 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

I've tried several alternatives. I've decided to stick with LR 6.14 (non-subscription) until either (a) I can't use it anymore, or (b) something better comes along. Option (a) could be (i) new camera, new RAW converter needed, or (ii) new computer with new OS, current LR will not load.

I'm heavily weighted on this decision by not being able to convert all my LR catalog edits, and by not wanting to go through another learning curve.

Interesting. I'm on LR 5.7 (non subscription as well) but never received notice of a new version. When I check I get "you are up to date". You'd think Adobe would want to tell us when new versions come out just to get more money, but I guess non-subscription folks aren't in the loop.

#10 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

Interesting. I'm on LR 5.7 (non subscription as well) but never received notice of a new version. When I check I get "you are up to date". You'd think Adobe would want to tell us when new versions come out just to get more money, but I guess non-subscription folks aren't in the loop.

That is by design, as there's no new updates for LR 5 and they don't want you to do a paid upgrade to version 6.  You can still buy upgrade or buy an outright LR6 now but that could soon disappear.  Adobe make it quite convoluted to find the page where you can purchase an outright version and keeps steering you to the CC subscription page.  I went looking and only found through a google search, couldn't find a link anywhere from their website that took me to the right page.  The upgrade is half the price of the full version, in Australia that's $114.  To get LR CC you are looking at $14.29/month photo plan or $171 per year.  If all you want is LR then it makes sense to get V6 while you can.

#11 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

It's worse for me as I qualify for the academic version. Of course that is now gone and only the academic subscription now exists. Sorry, Adobe, but this is coming out of my pocket, so I have no desire to pay monthly forever for your stuff - even at academic prices.

At least with my copy of LR5, it should continue to work until I finally retire Win7 (approx. when hell freezes over).