11 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

The GoPro HERO5 Black and Session cameras have been announced for release on 2nd October.

http://shop.gopro.co...ational/cameras

• Waterproof but only to 10m, so you'll still need a housing for most diving
  • Still only 4k 30p max, same as the HERO4, which is a little disappointing as I was dreaming of 60p @ 4k
  • Electronic Image Stablization (EIS) but limited to 1080p as it's stabilized and cropped in software, not hardware
  • More bells and whistles such as voice control and integration with their new Karma drone

So really there's nothing significantly new for the underwater shooter who wants to shoot 4k. Unless I've missed something? Might still get one for trekking etc. and for some underwater wide angle when shooting macro.

#2 mojodiver

mojodiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

I agree very disappointing.  I wonder if the dive housing comes with it or you have to purchase it separately.

After 2 years they should have been able to do better with the image quality and video options.

#3 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

Hero5 does not add much over Hero4 Black. Karma looks sexy, tough...

#4 DarktidePhoto

DarktidePhoto

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

I think its going to be a nice update, coming from a person who doesnt own any gopros though. Having a Screen built in and better battery plus RAW photos will be very nice. 

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

Just wish it would do 4k 60p to use as a B camera with a GH5 or whatever.

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

There's a pretty good review here. Very little on underwater use though:

Edited by Nick Hope, 28 September 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#7 mojodiver

mojodiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

The dive housing isn't included and is another $50. So lame.  Drop the price but don't include what normally comes with it.

I honestly wouldn't trust the 30ft they say unless you are snorkeling only.  You can get the dive housing on ebay for cheap

from china.  Used many of them and they are just as good.

#8 mojodiver

mojodiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

The Karma won't hold a candle to the DJI Mavic.  ,Much bigger and you have to use a gopro. Gopros don't work as well on drones from my experience.  DJI and Autel have their stuff together.  Gopro's share price is struggling and I have a feeling it's not going to get better!

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

Got myself a FLIP5 Pro Package with SHALLOW, DIVE, DEEP, +15 MACROMATE MINI lens for my GoPro HERO5 Black.

Anyone got any recommendations on white balance settings? I've been using "native" quite a bit topside but that's quite a warm setting.

Also I've seen it suggested in a couple of places to use lights + CC filter with GoPros. Was always a no-no for my other cameras because everything goes red if you do that. Is this a serious recommendation?

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

Got myself a FLIP5 Pro Package with SHALLOW, DIVE, DEEP, +15 MACROMATE MINI lens for my GoPro HERO5 Black.

Anyone got any recommendations on white balance settings? I've been using "native" quite a bit topside but that's quite a warm setting.

Also I've seen it suggested in a couple of places to use lights + CC filter with GoPros. Was always a no-no for my other cameras because everything goes red if you do that. Is this a serious recommendation?

Hey Nick, did you research on the Sony FDR-3000? I will be getting it. So far the general review said it's better than the goPro 5 because of the Optical IS, and the color. Even the Yi 4K+ is gaining popularity than the goPro. Inon have a lot of accessories for the Sony, so if it's not too late, check out the Sony.

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hey Nick, did you research on the Sony FDR-3000? I will be getting it. So far the general review said it's better than the goPro 5 because of the Optical IS, and the color. Even the Yi 4K+ is gaining popularity than the goPro. Inon have a lot of accessories for the Sony, so if it's not too late, check out the Sony.

I didn't research the Sony or anything else apart from a quick look at the Olympus TG Tracker. And it's too late. But I'm happy enough with the GoPro so far, for what it is. The microphone adapter "brick" is ridiculous. Shouldn't have got that and should have just stuck with the in-built mics.

#12 Nuno A

Nuno A

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

On blue waters auto balance works very well, another possibility is native and choose WB on the computer, just record a grey area and they set WB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GoPro, HERO5, GoPro HERO5 Black, Hero 5 Black, GoPro HERO5, GoPro Hero 5, Go Pro HERO5 Black, GoPro Hero 5 Black