• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2220 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:09 PM

My 2010 Mac Pro has a Nvidia FX4800 graphics card installed. Lightroom 6/CC2015 can use Graphics Processor Acceleration to speed up and make controls more responsive in the develop mode.

Despite it having Open GL 3.3, the FX4800 is one of the cards that Adobe do not support with Lightroom's GPU acceleration.

So I guess the question is, for those that have cards that support it, firstly, which cards are they, and secondly, does it seem to make big difference?

Separately, I tried to install Color Finale yesterday (for Final Cut Pro) and it needs OpenCL 1.2, while the FX4800 only has 1.1... :(

Thank you!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

If you are using a 5k monitor, GPU acceleration is more noticeable.  I don’t use LR but CC2015 PS, PP, AE and they all work much better with GPU acceleration, especially CUDA.  I don’t know if CUDA vs OPENCL is faster though for OSX.
If you use LR more often, then going with a CUDA Nvidia card would probably be faster, cos it is with my MP5.1 using PS.  But since you are using FCPX and I assume OSX.11/10, then you go also with the AMD R9 which are ROM flashed to work with macs.  CUDA isn’t great with the newer OSXes. Check out macvidcards for the R9.  Hope this helps.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:33 AM

Drew (HI!) and Adam,

I'm upgrading the graphics card in my early 2009 MacPro. I'm actually doing an upgrade on the whole machine, which may or may not prove to be prudent... Still I'm trying to get a couple of more years before a MacPro, more to my liking, is released and I'll make the big jump.

For now, besides an ssd boot, usb 3.0, new big drives etc, my computer guy is installing a new graphics card:
ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card upgrade for Mac Pro Early 2009

Drew, is that a good choice?

Also Drew and Adam what are you using for externals? I always have 2 backups but with the larger drives it's getting crazier. I've had success with g-technology and I wish I could invest in something that I could use with the new MacPro in a couple of years? But then Thunderbolt 3 will probably be out by then😳

(Actually I know this is an old graphics card upgrade but I'm not sure there are any other reliable options for me? But I'm committed now to getting a bit more out of this machine. Then. later on, I'm hoping there will be a more desirable MacPro than what's available right now). Any advice appreciated.

Edited by seagrant, 12 June 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#4 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

FYI, I'm not doing the upgrade per the Apple announcement on Monday. Doing the upgrade I might get another year out of the MacPro early 2009 computer which I don't think is a good investment for the cost. My computer guy is refunding me. He's so professional!

I'll get an iMac or MacPro next time either one is updated. The way Apple is going, I think it's necessary. I'll miss my Mac Pro tower! Such a great machine with never even a hiccup!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fav computer ever! I guess that's why Apple discontinued them, they are too reliable and built too well / easily upgradable.

Thx Carol

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2220 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

Hi Carol and Drew,

Thanks for both your inputs. My Mac Pro is a late 2010 so I am OK at present for the latest OS version.

I ended up getting a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB card. It is  flashed version, but it has two DVI outs which suits my current set up and will output 4K via its Display Port for the future.

It has sorted out the performance problems with Lightroom and Color Finale.

My externals are a G-Tech 4 Bay eSata RAID and an Orico 5 Bay USB 3 RAID. I use the internal drives as a 4 Bay RAID too. I also have an old Drobo (which is not very good) for some already redundant backups.

Thanks again for your inputs

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook