Photo
- - - - -

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

I believe RED cameras has fan running to cool as well. Yet Nauticam can make housing for them. We shall see.

I dont think heat will be biggest isuue. If you use an Alu-housing you effectively get watercooling underwater.

Edited by bubffm, 14 April 2018 - 05:56 AM.

#22 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Not everything good on land is good underwater...

#23 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

All Red 4 to 8k cameras are fan cooled as a necessity due the heat that is generated by the processors when shooting 4k, but that has not stopped the pros from using them underwater. Plus, aluminum housing work as a bit of a heat sink in dissipating the heat generated by the camera. 

Seeing the Black Magic camera being fan cooled as well should be a good thing for a camera like this to handle longer run times and consecutive shooting than non fan cooled 4k cameras. The one downside, considering that it is hard to have a camera fan cooled and weather sealed at the same time, with a fan cooled system just a few drops in the right place could spell serious trouble.

#24 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Just more thought on this subject:

• With one single LP-E6 battery, the operation will likely to be short as you have to power the screen and the camera while recording. I guess max 30~40mins. So you will need add a second or a more powerful battery.
  • Then if you want to record CDNG raw uncompressed (to take full advantage of the camera), file size is about 500GB/25mins, so for a dive you’ll need a least a 512GB CF card that cost $1,000US minimum or use an external USB-C SSD.

This assuming Nauticam will offer the possibility to put a larger battery capacity and an USB-C SSD aside from the BMCC 4K camera. The housing is not going to be as cheap as the camera.

About recording format, if BM integrate the ProRes Raw format, recording time will be about 0.8GB/minute or so, so still need large capacity memory support, forget the SD cards.

Also be prepare to buy additional storage for your editing and backup. I can image that for a few days dives trip you will need quite some Tera Bytes of storage capacity.

So at this moment a GH5/S, with the future Atomos Ninja V recorder eventually (for ProRes format), still seems to be the best option.

Too bad because at this price point the BMCC 4K camera is a no brainer.

#25 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

At first, like everyone (I think) I saw the specs, the price and thought..whoa! Makes my recent GH5s purchase very expensive (but I still got it for a super low price, so can't complain...)

But here and on other forums I visit, people are starting to see the drawbacks of the battery, recording formats and the additional accessories you need to get it up and running.

Underwater, we have the issues of:
1. Battery life (only real option is USB based pack inside housing, like the A7 but means bigger housing)
2. Screen position
3. Control access
4. Heat (so might need fans, then an increase in housing size to cope with additional hardware and NPF battery)

As to whether or not it will get ProResRAW, that will be complicated issue, as its a licensing issue, only DJI and Atomos (I believe) have acquired ProResRAW licensing for their devices at the moment. So if they managed to get it on there, it will probably be a V-LOG-L type activation, or back to base upgrade as the licensing is per device.

Looking into the future, I can say that my 'next' camera (whenever that will be) will have to have ProResRAW, to make me wanna upgrade, it looks an amazing advancement in the < $5000 category.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#26 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:06 AM

The housing is not going to be as cheap as the camera.

No housing is going to be as cheap as the camera unless they're made out of polycarbonate. It's still too soon to speculate the BMCC 4K in the field practical use. The camera can be charged through the USB-C, so depends on how its wiring is, you never know there could be a way to power it through USB-C. As for file size, I dove with someone with Canon 1DX II, with 4K 60fps, he can only shoot 25 minutes of stuffs before the card fill up. Many of this "limitation" is really depend on personal style. For most dive, I don't shoot more than 30 minutes of footage (with each clip is around 10-20 seconds). If the sensor perform as good as GH5S, it could be a good compromise for almost 50% off the price of the GH5S.

Edited by kc_moses, 18 April 2018 - 04:07 AM.

#27 kkfok

kkfok

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:31 AM

Not everything good on land is good underwater...

I agree, after my bad experience with FS100 (unusable MWB underwater) and GH2 (color banding with ambient lighting), I would rather wait for real examples before pulling the trigger.

#28 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1855 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:38 AM

The official documentation has been released
The BMPCC has the same sensor of the Panasonic GH5s it does have a white balance button but it is unclear if you can set custom white balance
It has no stabiliser and one SD slot and one cfast slot
It is unclear which lenses will support autofocus
I believe the key strength on land is the ability to connect a usb drive to record and with the 5” screen this could be a killer
However if white balance cant set a value this could be painful because cameraraw requires very expensive cards and without a stabiliser quite a bit of post processing to be excepted
On land this looks very promising underwater we need to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#29 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

If a housing is made for this camera, I’ll buy it in a heart beat :) as I said in the same thread earlier. And I’ll go for raw.
A well balanced rig with a stabilized lens and a bit of post stabilization would do the job for me. And yes, I hope Black Magic squeezes mor dynamic range from this sensor than Panasonic did.
Best Regards,
Thani

#30 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:55 PM

Unboxing video. It is not really pocketable. Enable caption to see the translation.

https://youtu.be/c5cCeN-NGnQ

Edited by thani, 07 September 2018 - 11:11 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#31 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

Strange, people in South East Asia already get their BPCC4K?This one is from Thailand:

Edited by kc_moses, 07 September 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#32 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

I will never grasp the relevance of unboxing-videos...

#33 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:24 PM

The only thing I’ve learned from watching that is the BMPCC4K does indeed have the ability to Manual White Balance - which Incepter asked earlier. However as you would be shooting RAW CNG you would be setting in post I presume.

It’s a chunky camera for sure.

Unboxing videos = “I got one early, unlike you” LOL [emoji38]

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#34 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1855 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:47 PM

The only thing I’ve learned from watching that is the BMPCC4K does indeed have the ability to Manual White Balance - which Incepter asked earlier. However as you would be shooting RAW CNG you would be setting in post I presume.

It’s a chunky camera for sure.

Unboxing videos = “I got one early, unlike you” LOL [emoji38]

I believe when you shoot in ambient light white balance is always a good thing to do even unless you are using lights
When I take stills I white balance even with raw
Good news on the white balance for this camera and the interface appear useable underwater certainly more than Ninja V. May work well for macro shots on tripods but not as a fin about camera in my view

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#35 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:10 AM

I believe when you shoot in ambient light white balance is always a good thing to do even unless you are using lights
When I take stills I white balance even with raw
Good news on the white balance for this camera and the interface appear useable underwater certainly more than Ninja V. May work well for macro shots on tripods but not as a fin about camera in my view

It is true that RAW allows easy WB adjustment in post but doing it before shooting is one step less and a better practice to ease the workflow. There are the situation where you need to capture the action immediately before doing WB. 

Re. Focus mechanism, it is most likely that it acts like manual focus. This is how it was implemented in their previous cameras. 

What I like about this camera is the better dynamic range. With my GH5s, I’ve to choose between the highlights or the shadows. 

Unboxing video = Finally BM delivered a cam on time :)

Best Regards,
Thani

#36 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:06 AM

I remember seeing some reviews when it launch that the battery life is not so good...

#37 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:10 AM

Still no reason to change...

#38 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

There is a report that the battery life is better than expected. I hope the housing companies make room to put in the external SSD, as that will save you $2000 to buy CF card that's fast enough to shoot RAW.

The focus mechanism of the BMPCC4K is basically just like using "Back button focus", it's the style I have been using for years.

The deal breaker for me is no any sort of IS.

Panasonic will announce their Full Frame camera on Sept 26, so it seems like every few months we have something new to look forward to. There is no point to pre-order the BMPCC4K at this point.

#39 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:06 AM

With Blackmagic RAW coming to this camera, this suddenly does start to look like a very interesting proposition. So no need to house a separate SSD :)

https://www.blackmag...o/blackmagicraw

Edited by bubffm, 14 September 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#40 santsupa

santsupa

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:21 PM

Strange, people in South East Asia already get their BPCC4K?This one is from Thailand:

He is a director in Thailand. He will be running a BMPCC4K demonstration event held by Blackmagic in Bangkok on 28 Sep. That is the reason he got the camera this early.

"

Blackmagic Design Day Bangkok Take part in a live production featuring the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K!

Join us at The Circus Studio for an afternoon of demonstrations of our new products including Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, DaVinci Resolve 15 and more!

You’ll get hands on experience with Blackmagic Design's latest broadcast and post-production technologies as well as the chance to participate in a live shoot with cinematographer Sittipong Kongtong (Han)!"