- - - - -

Nauticam D500/Tokina 10-17 FE Port Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mattwallace24

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Finally moving up from many years with my Nikon D90/Aquatica setup to a new D500/Nauticam setup. So far, 100% of my u/w photography has been large subjects using the Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens. For now, my photography will stay the same, so looking for port recommendations to use with my Tokina/Nauticam setup.  

I'm leaning towards a glass (versus acrylic) port this time and looking at both Nauticam and Zen options.  Currently looking at the Nauticam N120 140mm Optical Glass Fisheye Port, the Zen DP-100 100mm Fisheye Dome Port, and the Zen DP-170mm Fisheye Dome Port.  

My Aquatica setup used the 8 inch (203mm) acrylic dome, so the larger sizes are not a concern.  Photography is typically large sharks, rays, whales, etc.  

Any advice or thoughts or other recommendations, please share.  

#2 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

With the Nauticam N120 140mm dome (which I use now) you will need to add the 10mm extension ring to get the best out of that port/lens setup. With the Zen 170 (replaced it with the Nauticam 180mm) the 20mm extension ring will be needed there.