• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattwallace24

mattwallace24

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Finally moving up from many years with my Nikon D90/Aquatica setup to a new D500/Nauticam setup. So far, 100% of my u/w photography has been large subjects using the Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens. For now, my photography will stay the same, so looking for port recommendations to use with my Tokina/Nauticam setup.  

I'm leaning towards a glass (versus acrylic) port this time and looking at both Nauticam and Zen options.  Currently looking at the Nauticam N120 140mm Optical Glass Fisheye Port, the Zen DP-100 100mm Fisheye Dome Port, and the Zen DP-170mm Fisheye Dome Port.  

My Aquatica setup used the 8 inch (203mm) acrylic dome, so the larger sizes are not a concern.  Photography is typically large sharks, rays, whales, etc.  

Any advice or thoughts or other recommendations, please share.  

Thanks!

Matt

#2 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

With the Nauticam N120 140mm dome (which I use now) you will need to add the 10mm extension ring to get the best out of that port/lens setup. With the Zen 170 (replaced it with the Nauticam 180mm) the 20mm extension ring will be needed there.

#3 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Finally moving up from many years with my Nikon D90/Aquatica setup to a new D500/Nauticam setup. So far, 100% of my u/w photography has been large subjects using the Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens. For now, my photography will stay the same, so looking for port recommendations to use with my Tokina/Nauticam setup.  

I'm leaning towards a glass (versus acrylic) port this time and looking at both Nauticam and Zen options.  Currently looking at the Nauticam N120 140mm Optical Glass Fisheye Port, the Zen DP-100 100mm Fisheye Dome Port, and the Zen DP-170mm Fisheye Dome Port.  

My Aquatica setup used the 8 inch (203mm) acrylic dome, so the larger sizes are not a concern.  Photography is typically large sharks, rays, whales, etc.  

Any advice or thoughts or other recommendations, please share.  

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt,
I use same housing and camera/lens combo, you’ll love it!
With the subjects you mentioned i guess corner sharpness won’t be a concern, so what about a mini dome, like zen’s 100mm?
It’s crystal so high quality, and you can get the one that had the exact right lenght for the tokina (better than using extentions to just get approx right).
I have recently shot a full 3 days trip with that exact combo, and since i am happy with the results you might want to take a look (lots of sharks involved ;)):
https://flickr.com/p...157666838287588

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk