• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JohnJohnsonIII

JohnJohnsonIII

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have been doing freedive photography under the name One Breath Photography for some time. Today my google alert sent me email saying that someone in the UK now has a site named www.onebreathphotography.co.uk. This is a bit disconcerting because for years I have operated under this name and have a number of well-known images associated with this name(e.g. cover of Alert Diver from last month). I am unaware of what copyright law applies, but I have been working under a business license with this name for several years now in Hawaii. Does anyone know what recourse I have? Thank you in advance!

--John Johnson
One Breath Photography
www.onebreathphotography.com
John Johnson - Freedive Photo Fanatic
www.onebreathphoto.com
Canon 20D, Ikelite housing, 18-55mm, 10-22mm, 100mm
dual Ikelite DS-125s, lots o ports...
Olympus 2020/4040/5050
PT-005/PT-010/PT-015
Dual Inon Z220 - the freediver's DREAM
Inon WAL/Inon,Dome Unit
UN WAL/UN Macro

#2 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have been doing freedive photography under the name One Breath Photography for some time. Today my google alert sent me email saying that someone in the UK now has a site named www.onebreathphotography.co.uk. This is a bit disconcerting because for years I have operated under this name and have a number of well-known images associated with this name(e.g. cover of Alert Diver from last month). I am unaware of what copyright law applies, but I have been working under a business license with this name for several years now in Hawaii. Does anyone know what recourse I have? Thank you in advance!

--John Johnson
One Breath Photography
www.onebreathphotography.com

i found the following with a google search:-

Link 1

Link 2

It seems that unless he is a competitor and tries to use the website to take business away from you, there might not be very much you can do.

I had someone who registered liquidguru.net and sold 'health' goods. I wasn't bothered as I had the top domain, the .com

Edited by liquidguru, 29 July 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

Copyright protects the expression of ideas - creative endeavours like your free diver pictures - rather than a business or trading name, so I'm not sure copyright law would apply.

Good luck.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

so what happens if you call your company after a fruit, say "apple".....I am sure they will (and have) reacted if there is the remotest link.

Edited by Cerianthus, 30 July 2011 - 12:03 AM.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#5 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

so what happens if you call your company after a fruit, say "apple".....I am sure they will (and have) reacted if there is the remotest link.

Here's a definintion of a trademark:-

"A trade mark is a sign which can distinguish your goods and services from those of your competitors (you may refer to your trade mark as your "brand"). It can be for example words, logos or a combination of both."

Taken from Intelletcual Property Office - UK

So in the case of fruit names, Apple (both the Beatles publishing company and the computer manufacturer) may well be reaching for their lawyers, but probably not referring to copyright law in their letter.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#6 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

I know that you can register a trademark or have a limited company with a specific name (I do this by owning several non-trading ltd companies with my trading names) to create some protection (in the UK at least) but even doing this cannot entirely stop other using a similar name as far as I am aware, especially if they are trading as an individual and the name is subtly different. On a worldwide basis it would be extremely difficult to enforce a trademark unless it was registered in all countries in which it needed to be and you were prepared to take the required action to enforce it wherever needed. However you could register your name in the UK to help protect you but be aware that this would only give you limited protection and, more importantly, enforcement might not be easy nor even cheap from a long distance. Additionally it may not be possible to prevent a .co.uk website as this may be viewed as representing a very separated business from one in Hawaii - this could be queried with the relevant domain name authorities I suppose. Copyright law doesn't apply.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

You are not alone.

The BBC uses bbc.co.uk whereas bbc.com for years was used by a company in British Columbia. I guess eventually the BBC in Britain stumped up the money to buy the site.

divermag.com is the site of the Canadian Diver Mag, not divermag.co.uk or divernet.com, which is the sites of Diver Mag in the UK and not in any way otherwise connected.

Edited by John Bantin, 30 July 2011 - 11:26 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

You are not alone.

The BBC uses bbc.co.uk whereas bbc.com for years was used by a company in British Columbia. I guess eventually the BBC in Britain stumped up the money to buy the site.

divermag.com is the site of the Canadian Diver Mag, not divermag.co.uk or divernet.com, which is the sites of Diver Mag in the UK and not in any way otherwise connected.

I beg your pardon loyal subject of Her Majesty.... Diver Magazine in Canada and Diver Mag in the UK are connected indeed... they both talk about scuba and other frivolous pursuing...:-)... and they have the same Head of State !

Michel... a.k.a. as one of the Canuck mag contributors
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#9 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

I beg your pardon loyal subject of Her Majesty.... Diver Magazine in Canada and Diver Mag in the UK are connected indeed... they both talk about scuba and other frivolous pursuing...:-)... and they have the same Head of State !

Michel... a.k.a. as one of the Canuck mag contributors

Qui?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#10 jkane

jkane

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi John -

It looks like the site is being changed to www.freedivegallery.com in response to the conflict.

Problem solved?

Jerry

#11 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

I can't see that you have any leg to stand on if the company decided not to change their domain, very lenient on their behalf I think.

The first thing you should have done is register that domain, it costs hardly anything and with that watermark on an image is a great aspect for SEO and marketing. Also for a limited cost you should also protect your online presence with buying the .org and .net versions of the domain which are the next two most popular extensions, .biz is also now emerging too.

Maybe now that the company is changing you should make an offer on that domain. Eventually this will happen again if the domain does become available and next time the owner may not be as lenient as the current ones.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#12 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

There seems to be a bit of confusion. There are three issues at work here.

1. Claiming a URL.

2. Business Name

3. Copyright

I can create a company name International Brotherhood of Monsters. I can get any URL remotely connected to it or not like www.ibm.com.uk or even what that says www.padi.com.uk if for my IBM business. I would not be violating any laws, although internet laws and rules are ever evolving in regard to URL claims.

If my International Brotherhood logo looked like the IBM logo or if I produced anything that could confuse the public or consumers about which was which. I would also have a tough time ever copyrighting anything with my version of IBM, as there might already be a slew of similarly copyrighted material. You may be able to get away with a McFoxxy's hamburger stand in Prague, but you better not have golden arches out front.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#13 divengolf

divengolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:User name says it all- Dive & Golf, plus a little fishin' when I can.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

John,

This is an old thread, but first look at getting a US trademark registration for your company name. If that is possible, then you can use that registration to register in many foreign countries. There is some called the Madrid protocol which allows you to file one application and then use that application to apply for TM protection in a number of countries of your choosing.

This may or may not solve your immediate problem. but may protect you down the road.

Unfortunately international TM protection isn't a cheap proposition. You have to decide if it's worth the $$$.

We spend $20K +/year protecting our trademarks and we're just a small manufacturing company doing business internationally.

I'm not an attorney. but this doesn't sound like a copyright issue to me.

#14 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

John,

This is an old thread, but first look at getting a US trademark registration for your company name. If that is possible, then you can use that registration to register in many foreign countries. There is some called the Madrid protocol which allows you to file one application and then use that application to apply for TM protection in a number of countries of your choosing.

This may or may not solve your immediate problem. but may protect you down the road.

Unfortunately international TM protection isn't a cheap proposition. You have to decide if it's worth the $$$.

We spend $20K +/year protecting our trademarks and we're just a small manufacturing company doing business internationally.

I'm not an attorney. but this doesn't sound like a copyright issue to me.

Sadly the Madrid protocol is not foolproof!!!

This isn't about copyright - there is no artistic merit is a trading name so it cannot be copyrighted.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#15 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

For years www.bbc.com was owned by a company in British Columbia, much to the chagrin of www.bbc.co.uk