• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,
Am at the start of a long and tedious road to put together THE Shark diving experience to end all shark diving experiences.

Imagine ten weeks on a luxury liveaboard, cruising reefs and islands that could never have seen a diver. Imagine islanders with a steep and vested relationship, both spiritual and cultural, with sharks. Ten weeks to view, interact with and record images of up to 11 different species in their own environment. Challenging diving at times on sea mounts, in channels and lagoons not to mention untouched reefs. Does such a place exist? Fortunately yes. Where? That will remain a secret up until the very last moment.

Planned trip dates are thus far slotted for the early part of 2011 so plenty of time to save the pennies. It will not be cheap and as yet prices have yet to be finalized. What it will do is allow those with a true sense of adventure the opportunity to interact with sharks in their own environment, before it is too late.

Please contact me for more information.

Cheers,
Mark
mark(at)liquidmocean(dot)com

Edited by CamDiver, 19 May 2009 - 02:39 PM.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

Yeah, need to hire a PA?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hahah, yeah Steve, you will be the first on the list, which started about three days ago incidentally.

Cheers,
Mark.

#4 BotSO

BotSO

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I'm interested in two spots.

#5 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

Two years to plan for this. Expedition dates will be from the start of July through mid-September 2011.

Please email for info: mark@liquidmocean.com

Cheers,
Mark.

#6 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

Can I bring Gracie? :)

Seriously....can I bring Gracie???!!!

Cheers, Simon

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

Actually mark... make every participant sign a NDA never to divulge where the place is until it's really protected. Shark finners already have google. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

Actually mark... make every participant sign a NDA never to divulge where the place is until it's really protected. Shark finners already have google. :)

Ahhh, we think alike. This is why I am not going to divulge where this trip will be until the last minute. The location is full of sea mounts so not a lot of space for the long liners. I'm sure though they would go back to hand lines if they knew how productive this place is though.

The age old question: Is what we do in our imaging actually counter productive to the conservation of that which we film / photograph? Like you say, the finners have Google, Cable and DVD players too.

Cheers,
Mark.

Edited by CamDiver, 21 May 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#9 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Can I bring Gracie? :)

Seriously....can I bring Gracie???!!!

Cheers, Simon

Sure, but keep her away from the chum bucket, those ladles are big!!! :)

Cheers,
Mark.

#10 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi mark,

Ill need two spots for this one!! Im definitely in!!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#11 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

No worries Mike. Noted and eMailed.

Mark.

#12 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

This was my first concern... Okay second after where can i get the funds from... It would be a real shame to spoil such a sanctuary for sharks in the name of a trip... But im sure Mark will take a long look at this side of the coin before deciding the trip... Even if it means being blindfolded until we reach the destination ... which i have done a few times altho not through diving... :) ... it would be for the greater good... and add to the mystery...

Sounds a corker though...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#13 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Sadly I am very aware of the implications of taking people to what are thought to be sanctuaries only to have people see the potential and ruin the locale with development. Well, isolation, no Internet, no mains electricity, fresh water tables etc would mean a massive investment for anyone wanting to set up any kind of business in the area, and to be honest, for 5 months of the year it is inaccessible due to bad weather. The closest location of any real size is about 1000 miles away from the main area of interest. The place is just too isolated for development. The underwater topography also makes it very hazardous for fishing gear, that said the biggest concern I have is for word getting out on the area in general as that would / could have an adverse effect. There could well be NDA's and Blindfolds for this one!!

On another note for people interested please go here as a group is forming to discuss the ongoing plans. For some reason I am only getting an allowance to send one PM a day on this service?? Is that normal? I have interest coming from a number of members but cannot PM more than one in any 24hr period.

Cheers,
Mark.
PS. Someone asked me to list the shark species we will be looking to encounter:

Gray Reef Sharks
White Tip Reef Sharks
Black Tip Reef Sharks
Nurse Sharks
Leopard Sharks
Silvertip Sharks
Silky Sharks
Galapagos Sharks
Tiger Sharks

If fortunate:

Oceanic White Tip Sharks
Scalloped Hamerhead
Great Hammerhead
Whaleshark.

This of course is not to mention the possibility of just about anything else to swim along.

Edited by CamDiver, 22 May 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

Never filmed a Great Hammerhead, would love my shot at one of those. Sand Tigers in North Carolina are also on my list. Sounds like a wonderful trip Mark.
Keep me in mind.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.