• This topic is locked This topic is locked
267 replies to this topic

#221 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

Word is that L & M will not be releasing a housing for either the FX-7 or V1-U. They will be releasing housings for the new HC 5 and 7.
Steve B)

Interesting. They definitely did not seem so keen on the FX7 when I was discussing my FX1 purchase with them.

Maybe if there is a lot of demand they will eventually make one?

#222 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

Interesting. They definitely did not seem so keen on the FX7 when I was discussing my FX1 purchase with them.

Maybe if there is a lot of demand they will eventually make one?

A lot of the deflation comes from the problems of the progressive scan feature of the V1. My own test clips from a prototype V1U shows it to be slightly softer than 60i, with distinct lack of detail on busier surfaces. The reason is how Sony implemented progressive capture into the camera's DSP. Unlike the HVX200, the Sony progressive is softer than the interlaced picture. So the extra resolution and motion is sort of wasted. It's still a very awesome picture, but the issue of cost comes into play. The V1 is still the only camera at 1080/24/30P. There is detail loss (again from my test tape) compared to the interlaced mode. Whereas progressive should give better resolution and sharpness, the V1U doesn't for some reason.
In "measurebator" mode, we have to consider the underwater environment. Shooting silhouettes creates contrasty situations where the issue is more of the noise movement that has been prevalent in the prog scan captures. Then the detail loss on say weedy sea dragons esp on the vertical lines. It is capable of great captures with superior detail but also have crappy noise movement and detail loss on certain patterns in progressive mode. So for underwater use, it may be too inconsistent for use.
Still I'm not judging until I get one underwater myself. But for those considering it for topside esp in PAL land, there is a plethora of evidence to suggestion Sony's implementation of P-scan and its noise reduction inconsistency is hampering the camera's ability.
Still the 60i I see on the FX7 and V1 is very nice.
All my tests came from a prototype V1U and a production V1U.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#223 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

Opps also forgot to add that the HVR-V1E and V1P seem to still have a problem with 25P. Seems there is lots of detail loss and noise in certain scenes. For those in PAL land considering this camera, they may wish to consider the HVR-V1U, the North America version. It has 24 and 30P and is better than the 25P implementation. PAL and NTSC HDV share the same 4:2:0 color so it's not a big deal to drop 4.94fps to get 25P.
The problem is perhaps on the assembly line where QC isn't all that tight. There are more than a few complaints about the picture quality of 25P.
For those who don't want progressive scan, the Canon XHA1 is slightly bigger but a better camera than the FX7 with more image controls (albeit correspondingly more complicated to use). Hopefully the other big housing manufacturers besides Gates will consider a housing for the A1 so we have more of a choice.
For about $3500 it's really a great HDV camera esp when you get the canon mod for 50/60i. And yes it does have lanc.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#224 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Drew, I'm going to call you Professor Drew from now on :)

Professor Drew of Wetpixel campus :D

He who knows everything...

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#225 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

Bet he doesn't know what I'm thinking now... :D

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#226 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Bet he doesn't know what I'm thinking now (Breasts, food and should i buy an fx7 or not)... :D

Dive safe

DeanB

Nauticam Rossa / GH4 / 7Dmk2 / 1Dx

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#227 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

:D :)

Cheers Simon...Two out of three ain't bad... More V1 than FX7... :)

I think Drew would have got that right....

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#228 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:20 AM

Actually I would've said all that plus lager/beer/ale/stout and the V1.

If you are considering the V1, I'd go for the V1U NTSC. 30P is more useful than 24/25P for natural history. Let the post guys worry about filmout etc. Of course each framerate has different techniques. I hope to be able to try it all out.

Drew

#229 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

Sony has issued an official firmware fix of the problematic 25P HVR-V1E/P. I've seen some samples postfix and detail has been somewhat restored. Resolution and sharpness still lags behind the 50i, but that seems to be a problem with Sony's implementation of progressive scan.

Drew

#230 powervideo

powervideo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

I'm reposting this from the intro thread wherein I introduced myself:

I've been shooting on a VX-1000 inside the ultra-amazing Sea & Sea dedicated housing for the last six years or so.

Until last week, that is, when I ordered a new HD camcorder... finally. I'm not one to upgrade for the sake of upgrading (obviously), but can no longer deny that my old workhorse is getting long in the tooth, though still shooting superior uw footage.

It's time to get on the HD bandwagon and have chosen the Sony HVR-V1U. After reading many reviews and comparisons it seems to be the cat's meow in it's price range. (I'd welcome anyone's thoughts here.)

Gates doesn't yet have a housing, but indeed has a placeholder on it's web site for this model. I'm eagerly awaiting their offering.

Cheers,

Bill

#231 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:15 AM

Welcome again Bill,

Obviously I cannot comment on the performance of the V1 as A) I do not own one and B) I'd be the only one in the world with a housing if I did...

But i just got an email from a friend who shoots above and below water and he cannot give the V1 enough praise and he's an ex 2000/2100 user. And he's waiting for a housing too.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#232 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Bill, I joined your thread to the official V1 discussion thread for the sake of others looking for info.

Actually Aquavideo is already delivering housings for the V1/FX7. I saw the prototype at DEMA but haven't played with it.

As for the V1U camera, I played with a demo and someone else's. As I haven't brought it underwater, my thoughts on the camera are all to be taken with a measurebator's interest and NOT realworld tests.

Shooting with 24/30P, which is the V1's biggest selling card, you'll find that you'll have to work around the problems of low fps, esp in 24P. You'll see some stuttering if your camera isn't very steady or in faster pans. 30P is better but nothing like 60i/P. That means the shooting style is different, esp since in HDV, fast pans tend to pixellate the image due to the compression, unlike DV.
The V1's progressive scan image is softer on details than in 50/60i, esp if you freeze frame. Sony's implementation makes it so, and it's not representative of prog scan cameras. But the difference is slight and unless you're a pro, you probably won't see it.

Drew

#233 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:01 AM

Drew,

I don't know much about Aquavideo housings - and I didn't get much help from their website. Did you get to see what you can control with the FX7 housing. The website simply says "Full Controls" which could mean anything. They seem to have got this out very quickly compared with the other major manufacturers.

If anyone else has anything to say about the Aquavideo housings in general it would be appreciated. I kind of get the feeling from the website that basic controls - stop/start zoom - are all that you can do.

Thanks

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#234 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:36 AM

Why don't you PM Mike? His screen name is aquavideo1. Or email him. To be honest I saw so many housings I had a bit of overload.
The good thing about aquavideo is that being PU, the housings are easily customized with controls etc.
Let us know what you find out.

Drew

#235 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:22 AM

Hi Drew,

I discovered in small print at the top of the Aquavideo webpage a link to pdf files for some of their housings including the FX7/V1 - http://www.aquavideo.com/pdfs.

It appears that the housing has the following controls available - Power; Trigger; Zoom; AutoFocus On/Off; Exp. focus; Manual Focus; Full White Balance control, Autolock on/off/hold shutter; menu; push/exec. User 1.2.3. Picture Profile and Photoshot controls are extra ($75)

It needs internal ballast weights, looks like 13lbs if used without lights.

I will email Mike and clarify a few things e.g. how the MWB is operated.

They have a package deal with SuperNova lights, but I cannot find any specification for these on their website or elsewhere.

Roger

#236 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Hi all,

Just had a email from Amphibico,

The release date for the Endeavour is now JUNE with lens options, the flat port and the same 94degree wide thats currently on the Phenny.

Hope thats a reality date....

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#237 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

And that new Amphibico high res external 16.9 screen should be out in a few weeks time.

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#238 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

Any Idea's on prices Wags...

My Credit card has gone into hiding ;)

Dive safe

Dean(come out, come out where-ever you are)B
Facebook me ;)

#239 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

Actually I would've said all that plus lager/beer/ale/stout and the V1.

If you are considering the V1, I'd go for the V1U NTSC. 30P is more useful than 24/25P for natural history. Let the post guys worry about filmout etc. Of course each framerate has different techniques. I hope to be able to try it all out.

Ok Drew I need to you to delve into your vaults of knowledge and expand on that a bit please!

I've been wondering recently with HDV if it really matters whether you film in NTSC or PAL (talking 1080i here, but just as valid for 1080p I guess). Isn't it exactly the same resolution with the only difference being 25fps vs 30fps? Can NTSC be captured, edited and outputted as HDV PAL without any major concerns? Try not to overwhelm me with techobabble!! ;)

Go go go!

Cheers, Simon

#240 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

I will email Mike and clarify a few things e.g. how the MWB is operated.

It appears that AquaVideo are not that keen to sell their housings :D After two weeks and two emails Mike has not replied to my very basic questions.

Shame that the Amphibico FX7 housing is delayed until June. We have booked a liveaboard to the Ras Mohammad area for a week towards the end of June, to film the pelagic shoals and to try and get some fish spawning shots. It will be a close run thing, especially as I will probably have to wait for the housing to be shipped to the UK Distibutor ;)

Maybe Gates will come up trumps.

Roger