7 replies to this topic

#1 oscarramirezphoto

oscarramirezphoto

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have input in regards to the best batteries for a pair of YS-D2 strobes? I have heard good things about the Amazon Basics, Eneloops, or Eneloops Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Oscar Ramirez.

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:33 PM

I’ve been using the regular Eneloops forever and am very happy with them in strobes and dive lights. I’ve got a couple dozen AAs that are maybe 6-7 years old and still going strong after an average 50-60 dives a year.

I have read that the Amazon batteries are the same, so perhaps worth a try, but the price difference is small. I see no reason to use the Eneloop Pros for my casual diving.

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2401 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

I agree with troporobo and have had similar very good experiences with Eneloops in Nikonos and a Inon strobes. They’re excellent.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 diggy

diggy

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:42 PM

Have used Eneloops, eneloop pro and now amazon basics. The Amazon are the same as the eneloop so go for them, i have had no issues.

Cheers,

Diggy

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#5 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:09 AM

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have input in regards to the best batteries for a pair of YS-D2 strobes? I have heard good things about the Amazon Basics, Eneloops, or Eneloops Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Oscar Ramirez.

I am using IKEA's LADDA batteries, 6 euros 4 pack - same characteristics as eneloop, they are probably made by the same factory... So i would totally recommend them, but i guess amazon basics are the same - so whichever is easier to get.

#6 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I have used eneloops and mahas in 240 z for a long time. Both work very well!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

In ten years of using them, I've only had one Eneloop ever go bad.  I've had the same set in my strobes for about 3 years.  I keep one spare set of 8 for recharging between dives on liveaboards if I'm diving more than twice a day.  Usually only change them when they start showing signs of corrosion from sea water on my hands.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#8 bear35

bear35

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

I use the Eneloop pro as Retra recommended them for my strobe and i find they are fantastic.

I have just come back from a weeks liveaboard they were partly charged before I went and I had to charge them once, nearly 600 pictures. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strobes, batteries, eneloops, amazonbasics, ys-d2