2 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5845 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:05 PM

In Papua New Guinea last month, I noticed sticky filaments extending out from polyp-withdrawn leather corals at night. The filaments would retract after capturing the critters attracted to my dive lights. Upon closed inspection, I found many little flatworm-like animals hiding under the lip of the coral. They are orange or red spotted.

Saw quite a few of these while in Kavieng. Any ideas on what they are? Here are some photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hi Eric,

The filaments that extend from Sarchophyton sp corals are usually sessile ctenophores.
Pretty cool, eh? They also have a lot of flatworms that like to hang out there too.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Oh, these are so cool! Great photos! They're bizarre cousins of the pelagic comb jellies, benthic ctenophores known as the platyctenes. Like their free-swimming relatives they have 2 retractable tentacles which are used to capture food. I saw my first one in the BVI a couple of years ago & have been looking for more ever since.