Anilao Frogfish in 4K

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:58 AM

Alright, got the frogfish out of the way. I have to say, they're not my cup of tea, but I finally saw hairy frogfish!

Finding music for frogfish is tough, shooting them on wall dive is even tougher! I probably should have learn how to use the Zebra feature on my Panasonic LX100, many of these guys are white like a snow ball and being down in at least 40 feet deep, it's hard to keep the surrounding properly expose while not to blow out the white frogfish. I have a couple shot of black frogfish, but they didn't make it into the video because they really look like a clump of charcoal. Anyway, enjoy (Watch in 4K setting even if you don't have 4K monitor just so you can benefit from the extra detail):

PS: Looking back, I could have shoot the white subject in more flat profile and grade them later. But there is no Cine-D or Cine-V kind of profile in the LX100, will have to research and see how to make one up. Any critique/comment is welcome! I think I got low enough, what other angle would you shoot frogfish at? Didn't see them yawn or snatch a fish up for meal, it's a tricky subject to shoot.

#2 emmamfiori

emmamfiori

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:marine biology, science diving, photography, beach-combing, hiking with the dog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

Beautiful video! What a wonderful collection! Especially the clip of the hairy with his lure wriggling around! Very cool! One question, in the clips of the white frogfish sitting on the beige spikey sponge (2:28), are those tons of tiny red nudibranchs crawling around on the sponge? Awesome!!

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks! There are a lot of frogfish in Anilao, I believe I saw all the color of frogfish in this trip. I saw the yellow juvenile frogfish but it got spoke back behind/under the rock by the divers before me so I didn't get to shoot it. To answer your question, those tiny little crawling thing are not nudibranch, I believe they're some sort of crab/bug. you can see them at 2:12 of this clip by Chris Parson:

#4 Basil

Basil

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I LOVE this video and the music for it!

#5 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

Both videos are very nice. You nailed it with the froggie music!!