• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing a gh5 and want to get into video... preferably wide angle

Can you please post any links to videos and your rig info, ports, lens, lights etc.. I'm really curious to see the diff between the 8mm vs 7-14mm

And any advice etc.. thanks!

#2 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

There's a few videos posted in the Editing, Post Production and Sharing forum and a number of threads in this forum discussing the GH5 and various ways people have configured their rigs.

As a general proposition, fisheye lenses aren't the best choice for video. The barrel distortion will become very evident as soon as there's any camera motion in the shot. Fisheye lenses really excel for photograpy, especially for wide angle reef scenes, wrecks, and big animals (we're talking whales, whale sharks and giant oceanic mantas here, not anything smaller than 2 meters).

I'm also not really a huge fan of the 7-14mm lens for underwater video, as I find the perspective distortion a bit too extreme and the long end is not as long as I'd like behind a dome port. I think the Leica 8-18mm offers a much more usable range underwater for wide angle video. That or a kit lens + Nauticam WWL-1. 

#3 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:27 AM

Oh ok thanks I've been doing post searches but dont think I've checked there.. thanks!

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

The kit lens or other 14mm with the WWL-1 has barrel distortion too
The only options for rectilinear are the 7-14mm or the 8-18mm or the 9-18mm behind a semidome
None of those lenses are stabilised the olympus 9-18mm is the cheapest and only requires a 4” wide port. At widest setting it gives you around 100 degrees fov which works well for everything.
Alternatively you can reuse the Inon UWL-H100 you already have this will give you the same field of view of the 9-18mm but will take advantage of 5 axis stabilisation. From optical point of view this is not as good as the WWL-1 and it does have some fringing on the edges however in combination with the other UCL-165 you already have will give you an all in one set up and if you get the power zoom lens the same feeling when you zoom in for close ups to the sony
If I were you I would take it in steps and start there instead of investing immediately in a port system
Take also into account that for video use the 14-42mm focal range is more useful than a 60mm macro or a wide zoom as you do portrait work in the 35mm-84mm range with lights and you then add diopters for macro work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Thank you! This was very insightful, I saw a good deal on a camera but I have held off because like you said I should take this in steps and still work with my current system before jumping into a new one

#6 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

There is mild barrel distortion with a 14-42 + WWL-1 combination until you zoom in to around 20mm. But it's quite mild and not distracting for video, IMO. Much less distracting then the pincushion distortion you get with a wide angle zoom behind a dome wider than 10mm. 

I would start with a kit lens + UWL-H100 if you already have it and see if the corners are acceptable to you for wide angle shots. The 14-42 behind a flat port actually gives you a pretty nice range for fish portraits and such and decent macro magnification at the long end with a diopeter. Any more magnification then that and you'll need a tripod for steady macro footage and an external monitor preferably to get the focus right.

#7 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

Are people using this setup with lights?

#8 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

The kit lens or other 14mm with the WWL-1 has barrel distortion too
The only options for rectilinear are the 7-14mm or the 8-18mm or the 9-18mm behind a semidome
None of those lenses are stabilised the olympus 9-18mm is the cheapest and only requires a 4” wide port. At widest setting it gives you around 100 degrees fov which works well for everything.
Alternatively you can reuse the Inon UWL-H100 you already have this will give you the same field of view of the 9-18mm but will take advantage of 5 axis stabilisation. From optical point of view this is not as good as the WWL-1 and it does have some fringing on the edges however in combination with the other UCL-165 you already have will give you an all in one set up and if you get the power zoom lens the same feeling when you zoom in for close ups to the sony
If I were you I would take it in steps and start there instead of investing immediately in a port system
Take also into account that for video use the 14-42mm focal range is more useful than a 60mm macro or a wide zoom as you do portrait work in the 35mm-84mm range with lights and you then add diopters for macro work

I just noticed some distortion in a lot of my shots and am quite displeased.  I am hoping this is user error and not the fault of the people that helped me choose a wide angle solution for my GH5 in Nauticam Housing.  This is the M.Zukio Pro 7-14mm F2.8    in order to fit the lens i needed a spacer and 180mm Glass Dome Port.  Here is the link to my footage.  This is a rectilinear lens so not sure why the horrible distortion?  

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

I think this is more a case of rolling shutter. You need to take a still image to see if you have barrel distortion

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#10 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

and not the fault of the people that helped me choose a wide angle solution for my GH5 in Nauticam Housing. 

You mean the sales people that sold you the housing?

#11 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:31 AM

I just noticed some distortion in a lot of my shots and am quite displeased.  I am hoping this is user error and not the fault of the people that helped me choose a wide angle solution for my GH5 in Nauticam Housing.  This is the M.Zukio Pro 7-14mm F2.8    in order to fit the lens i needed a spacer and 180mm Glass Dome Port.  Here is the link to my footage.  This is a rectilinear lens so not sure why the horrible distortion? 

To me it just looks like very soft corners. What aperture did you shoot at? With a dome you don’t really wanna go under 5.6 at least. I usually shoot at f7-9