18 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMalta

MarcusMalta

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Hi,

Im heading to Anilao, would it be wise to take with me fish eye lenses and 8inch dome ports? Would it be a waste of luggage space of can be of necessity there? Please guide.

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:04 AM

Anilao is not really a WA destination, the better opportunities are macro. There are a few sites where you can get good WA shots (Twin Rocks, Sombrero, Beatrice, Kirby's). But the vis is not great this time of year if you're going soon. I stick to macro for the next few months.

#3 Luko

Luko

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:38 AM

Like said above there are great wide angle sites providing lots of small fish action  like Beatrice Rock,

11748369776_b50de49d10_z.jpg

or schooling fish like in Twin rocks

11755505355_7393db5bc8_z.jpg

13512039264_7e2e4e406d_z.jpg

Depends on whether the conditions will allow you to dive these spots, otherwise Verde island which is sometimes but less often proposed by the dive centres is one of the most fish packed wall in the Philippines.

Personally I don't travel without my Zen minidome and 10-17 Tok.  

Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#4 cjames

cjames

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Agree with Luko.  Beatrice is a great WA spot.  That said, that is where our guide found bumble bee shrimp so I was shooting macro.

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

By the way, the school of bigeye jacks at Twin Rocks is no more, they haven't been seen in over a year. It's a shame. 

#6 Luko

Luko

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

By the way, the school of bigeye jacks at Twin Rocks is no more, they haven't been seen in over a year. It's a shame. 

Eeeerrrkkk....probably fished out, probably like what happened to the jack shool over the Liberty wreck in Tulamben/Bali, what a disgrace.

Edited by Luko, 13 March 2017 - 03:25 AM.

Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.

#7 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

So the jacks are gone from the Liberty?  What a shame!  They were one of the highlights of my dive when I was there in 2013.

#8 Luko

Luko

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

So the jacks are gone from the Liberty?  What a shame!  They were one of the highlights of my dive when I was there in 2013.

I dive the Liberty every year since 2011, they were plentyful and straight on top in 2011, they moved away and shrank in 2012, I suspect in 2013 there were almost no more (didn't see any).

They're history now..

#9 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

I went back and saw from my photos that it was 2010 when I was there.  They were a huge swirling tornado.  Spent half of my dive just drifting through them.

Too bad . . . 

#10 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

Back to the original topic.

You go to Anilao for macro.

Save the WA lenses/domes/weight/complexity for other locations.

#11 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

I'll hijack the thread as making a new one doesn't seem necessary. I'm heading to anilao (and dauin) in December and have a subsee +5, wondering if I should either sell the subsee and get a cmc1 or just get the cmc1 and keep the subset too. I do have a dual flip holder for diopters and only using one slot now.
Is it worth the extra money to get the cmc?
Cheers

#12 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

I can't tell you which closeup lens is better as I only have the Subsee +5.  But as you're interested in macro I can tell you the kind of targets you are likely to encounter: pygmy and regular seahorses, nudibranchs of every size, anemonefish eggs, ghost pipefish, shrimp of every kind (anemone, Coleman's, bumblebee, emperor, cleaner), crabs of many kind (porcelain, orangutan, xenia), crinoid shrimp, squat lobsters, bobtail squid, and the list goes on.  I use a 60mm lens on m4/3 about half the time and add the Subsee +5 the rest of the time, and never feel the need for more magnification or working distance. 

#13 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

I can't tell you which closeup lens is better as I only have the Subsee +5.  But as you're interested in macro I can tell you the kind of targets you are likely to encounter: pygmy and regular seahorses, nudibranchs of every size, anemonefish eggs, ghost pipefish, shrimp of every kind (anemone, Coleman's, bumblebee, emperor, cleaner), crabs of many kind (porcelain, orangutan, xenia), crinoid shrimp, squat lobsters, bobtail squid, and the list goes on.  I use a 60mm lens on m4/3 about half the time and add the Subsee +5 the rest of the time, and never feel the need for more magnification or working distance.

Thanks for the input! I've been using my 60mm with the subset on the gh4 quite a lot and felt like it did great although I never got the opportunity to film the real tiny creatures which is why I asked. But perhaps I will be fine as is! :)

#14 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

Hi,
was using the 60mm macro on my Oly OMD5e on two trips.
Sometimes with a Subsee +10 in a flip holder.
The fisheye lens was with us, but not often used...
We had on one trip 3 times a blue ring octopus, and some pics at Sombrero have been nice with the fisheye.
Travel time was both times february.

Regards,
Wolfgang

#15 seansrs968

seansrs968

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

This is primary a macro location. Enjoy the macro diving!!!

#16 bfdc

bfdc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

if you are a DAN member, this months issue of Alert Diver has an article about diving Anilao - photgraphy and animals

http://alertdiver.com/Anilao

bfdc@nc-wreckdiving.com
www.nc-wreckdiving.com
facebook: http://www.facebook....DC/108292407671
youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...r/ncwreckdiving

#17 newboy

newboy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Scuba
    Motorbikes

and cameras......

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

The jack school has been at DIve & Trek - Basilica for approx 4 months now.

Tremendous sight...

#18 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Wow! Ive been wondering where they went, after disappearing from Twin Rocks a couple of years ago

#19 ScubaKelldy

ScubaKelldy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

If you can organize a trip to Verde Island from Anilao, then bring your wide angle lenses.  It's about an hour by boat out of Anilao, and the boat can only make the crossing if the water is calm.  It is worth a visit though!  There are a few sites which are nice for wide angle in Anilao -- Beatriz and Batok are among the prettiest reefs. Twin Rocks and Mainit are nice too but viz isn't always great enough for wide angle shooting.

I very rarely bring my wide angle lens to Anilao.  Request a good spotter from the resort you're diving with if you wanna see more cool critters. In Anilao dive masters / guides are different from macro spotters. :)

Enjoy Anilao :D