• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

It could have been worse :)

CB005888.jpg
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#102 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

It could have been worse :)

CB005888.jpg

So we can print underwater with our old serial printers? Cool, the things you learn....

#103 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

So we can print underwater with our old serial printers? Cool, the things you learn....

Yeah, like, dude that was in preparation for the Direct Printing Button found on the early Canon camera, but I think we must have gotten the wrong cable DUH! :)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#104 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

There are dozens of monitoring options available, but the Sony price point looks to be right on. I can't find any info on batteries, If they are internal to what is shown in the release the form factor is pretty sweet.

Personally I think 5" is a bit big for in water use. I have prototyped a housing for the iKan V5600 5.6" Monitor, and while fine on big HD rigs, it made a top heavy or top draggy addition to every dslr I attached it too. More than half of the volume of that housing was dedicated to cabling and batteries, though. I also was not a fan of running HDMI over the bulkhead, but there are other ways.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#105 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Posted Image
flickr- by Ryan Canon, on Flickr

#106 albert kok

albert kok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

I took my first steps in dslr with buying the nikon d7000.

It's a big diference then my pen !
I would like to take the camera underwater.

But i don't now what housing to buy ?!

I dont have a lot of budget.
If i buy the nauticam hausing + 1 flash my buget is gone.
I then have to wait for 1.5 years for second flash and lenses.

Then i have been thinking to buy an ikelite housing.
If i buy that housing ik can buy a second flash and extra lenses.
But is this a good housing ?!

I dont know.

Is it worth waiting to buy the extra flash and lenses and buy the nauticam housing.
Or go for the ikelite and get better quality pictures with the extra stuff.

Some advice please....

I like Ikelite (I LIKE IKE... that must sound familiar to older citizens of the USA) because you can buy a new housing for a reasonable price when another Nikon comes on the market.
You just sell your old system and keep the ports and lenses you used for your old camera (D80. D90) and put them on your new camera. And they will fit in the new Ike housing.

I just got the Ikelite D7000 housing. And it looks pretty good to me. Lot of different controls compared with the D90 housing I had before. Bit confusing..
Some of the controls you probably wont need when you are under water...like the controls for flash mode, Fn button, Metering +/-, Dial lock release, bracketing
button etc.

But it still nice to have them, if you want to make adjustments after a dive without opening the housing..

Regards Al

#107 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Its all comparative. You can buy a more expensive aluminium housing and when it comes time to update you get a higher price when you sell it when compared with used Ikelites.

I like using my Aquatica housing as they still have good control feel after alot of use when the Ikelite housings which I own previously started to get sloppy controls after about 6 months. The control layout and feel is much better than the Ikelites I used.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#108 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

... when the Ikelite housings which I own previously started to get sloppy controls after about 6 months...

Can't say I have experienced the same thing with my 3 Ikelite housings I have owned and used. I have a brand new D7000 housing and the controls feel just the same as my two year old D300 housing. No sloppiness at all.

#109 eleung

eleung

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

a housing can last for more than 5-10 years. If you can afford, go for aluminum with better control and support (in terms of ports, gear, ...). A heavy housing you may got charge extra on luggage when travelling and float accessory. Owned an ikelite consumer housing and have experience the button got stuck easy so you need to service them. The Pros is the transparent housing and some nice mini dome from 3rd party like that from underwatercamerastuff

#110 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

Can't say I have experienced the same thing with my 3 Ikelite housings I have owned and used. I have a brand new D7000 housing and the controls feel just the same as my two year old D300 housing. No sloppiness at all.

I think Ike may have gotten better on their quality control too. The D70 Ike housing I owned was quite "finicky" with a few of the controls whereas the D300 was rock solid. I do think there is value in the more expensive aluminum housings in terms of user interface and lens change/port attachment, but I continue to believe Ikelite delivers a lot of value for the money in a housing.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#111 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

a housing can last for more than 5-10 years. If you can afford, go for aluminum with better control and support (in terms of ports, gear, ...). A heavy housing you may got charge extra on luggage when travelling and float accessory. Owned an ikelite consumer housing and have experience the button got stuck easy so you need to service them. The Pros is the transparent housing and some nice mini dome from 3rd party like that from underwatercamerastuff

One thing people mention many times in these forums is how Ikelite housings are supposedly much heavier than aluminum housings. I just want to say an Ikelite housing for a D300 is only about 1 pound heavier than the Aquatica, Nauticam or Subal housing for the same camera. It's not as big a difference as most people think.

The bigger difference is in bulk -- aluminum housings being much lower profile. I can now get my two DS-125's, housing, flat and dome ports, arms, clamps, cables, chargers, camera and lenses into my rolling carry on photo bag. When I owned an Ikelite the housing and 8" dome with port were so large I couldn't get my strobes in the same bag.

You do get something for the extra money with aluminum housings, but Ikelite remains a good value.

Probably the big question a person starting a new "rig" should ask: If you are going to spend betweeen $4k and $7k for an undewater setup, be aware your choice now will affect your upgrade choices down the line and going for the cheapest solution can handicap you. I did fine with Ike for several years, but I wish I had started with Aquatica instead.

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 13 December 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#112 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

I think Ike may have gotten better on their quality control too. The D70 Ike housing I owned was quite "finicky" with a few of the controls whereas the D300 was rock solid. I do think there is value in the more expensive aluminum housings in terms of user interface and lens change/port attachment, but I continue to believe Ikelite delivers a lot of value for the money in a housing.

My photos look the same in either one :)

#113 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Also you have to take into account how many dives are done per year on the housing. A two year old housing with 60 dives on should feel better than a 6 month old housing with 150 for example.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

#114 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Also you have to take into account how many dives are done per year on the housing. A two year old housing with 60 dives on should feel better than a 6 month old housing with 150 for example.

I have done around 145 dives with my D300 housing and it feels no worse than the brand new D7000 housing.

#115 chromatophore

chromatophore

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I'm not sure if the original author has made their purchase or not, but I have some constructive criticism and objective advice for the IKE D7000. I've been shooting this setup almost seven days a week for six months or so with great results. It's true that much of the engineering is improved as you climb the price ladder, but once you learn the controls you can overcome many of the housing's "shortcomings" with patience and make good use of the extra cash. I'd say save the $1,000-1,500 and pick up lenses that would more specifically cater to your preferred subject matter. The clear housing can be a lifesaver, especially for those of us diving it pretty regularly and so far the setup is sound. I haven't owned an Aquatica or Nauticam, so I can't make a brand comparison but it's my third Ikelite and I've been satisfied thus far.

#116 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

It would be an interesting comparison of a Ikelite housing which has been dived with everyday for a year and the same in a Aluminium housing. I noticed the Ikelites (owned both a D80 and D90) that their triggers got sloppy and had issues after 6 months of regular use. The controls which had regular use became sloopy like info, playback etc etc. The zoom gear on Ikelites is sloppy from brand new.

The extra initial cost of an Aluminium housing is also relative to the amount of money recieved when you sell that housing down the track. Sure the brand new Aluminium housing costs the extra $1000-1500 and some (brand dependant) when compared to an brand new Ikelite but it would also sell used for maybe $500-750 more than what a used Ikelite would sell for.

Another factor to consider is Strobe option. Sure the Ikelite Housing is $1000-1500 less than a metal housing such as Aquatica/Nauticam but the Ikelite strobes (ie DS161) are alot more expensive when compared with the optical fired Inon z240's and even more when you purchase the spare battery packs, smart charger, and also digital sync cords for the DS161. Add up two Ikelite Ds161 with two spare batteries and smart charger and a couple of sync cords and compare it against two Inon Z240's with optical fibre connections and few Sanyo Eneloops with a smart charger and you find the difference is close to $1000, not to mention a very compact rig for travel (money saved in excess baggage).

Also one has to think about future purchases and accessories available. For example Ikelite doesnt offer a factory mini dome or viewfinder which housings like aquatica and Nauticam do. This might not interest a new buyer now but it might in a year or two. Having a more flexible system first off makes it easier than having a cheaper option first and acquiring assoicated ports, gears, extensions and then only later selling them all off to obtain a Aluminium housing which more flexible options and more accessories. Often or not the Ikelite modular port setup is similar in price for a basic setup (60mm Macro and 8inch Dome for 10-17mm) when compared with a Nauticam and Aquatica port setup with the metal housing offering a better made product.

So the buyer of a brand new system has to ask themselves really at the end of the day is the Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobes that much cheaper when you compare it against an Aquatica/Nauticam aluminium housing with Inon z240 strobes? Would the difference in the initial price be cancelled out when the housing is sold and replaced with the next model?

Regards Mark

#117 dvleemin

dvleemin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

It would be an interesting comparison of a Ikelite housing which has been dived with everyday for a year and the same in a Aluminium housing. I noticed the Ikelites (owned both a D80 and D90) that their triggers got sloppy and had issues after 6 months of regular use. The controls which had regular use became sloopy like info, playback etc etc. The zoom gear on Ikelites is sloppy from brand new.The extra initial cost of an Aluminium housing is also relative to the amount of money recieved when you sell that housing down the track. Sure the brand new Aluminium housing costs the extra $1000-1500 and some (brand dependant) when compared to an brand new Ikelite but it would also sell used for maybe $500-750 more than what a used Ikelite would sell for. Another factor to consider is Strobe option. Sure the Ikelite Housing is $1000-1500 less than a metal housing such as Aquatica/Nauticam but the Ikelite strobes (ie DS161) are alot more expensive when compared with the optical fired Inon z240's and even more when you purchase the spare battery packs, smart charger, and also digital sync cords for the DS161. Add up two Ikelite Ds161 with two spare batteries and smart charger and a couple of sync cords and compare it against two Inon Z240's with optical fibre connections and few Sanyo Eneloops with a smart charger and you find the difference is close to $1000, not to mention a very compact rig for travel (money saved in excess baggage).Also one has to think about future purchases and accessories available. For example Ikelite doesnt offer a factory mini dome or viewfinder which housings like aquatica and Nauticam do. This might not interest a new buyer now but it might in a year or two. Having a more flexible system first off makes it easier than having a cheaper option first and acquiring assoicated ports, gears, extensions and then only later selling them all off to obtain a Aluminium housing which more flexible options and more accessories. Often or not the Ikelite modular port setup is similar in price for a basic setup (60mm Macro and 8inch Dome for 10-17mm) when compared with a Nauticam and Aquatica port setup with the metal housing offering a better made product.So the buyer of a brand new system has to ask themselves really at the end of the day is the Ikelite housing with Ikelite strobes that much cheaper when you compare it against an Aquatica/Nauticam aluminium housing with Inon z240 strobes? Would the difference in the initial price be cancelled out when the housing is sold and replaced with the next model?Regards Mark

That's a really interesting point. My understanding though is that the DS161's are more powerful than the z240's. Is that not the case?

Edited by dvleemin, 02 October 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#118 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

I believe the Ikelite DS161 and the Inon Z240's have the same guide number. Some people say the Inon Z240's have the same power as the Ikelites Ds160/1 but I think they have slightly more power and they have a different colour temperture (warmer) than the Z240s. Of course you can use plastic colour filters over the Z240's to give them also more warmth.

I love my DS161 strobes for wide angle but their faults include being big heavy and using dedicated battery packs. This can be a real pain when travelling. The Inon Z240 are small, compact and use sync cords and optical fibre and run on AA batteries.

Regards Mark

#119 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Just a quick beam angle comparison we did a few days ago:

Posted Image

#120 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

I used 2 Ikelite housings;
1 P&S Fuji E900 (2006)
1 Nikon D90 (2009)
I still own both housings and they need some new buttons due to corrosion issues, for the rest they are a very good bang for the buck for beginners.
I changed to a aluminium housing mainly because of 3 reasons:
1° more sturdy
2° more and better quality options for ports
3° the impossibility to use optical triggered strobes as the camera strobe don't open enough to fire is very annoying.

if you have no sooo great ambitions with getting the most perfect quality picture and not diving frequently a Ikelite housing is
maybe the best choice. A aluminium housing is a very nice thing to have, but you have to consider a substantially higher price
and it is your decision if you are willing to pay it or to invest the price difference in strobes or soem dive holidays to use your rig.

I use INON Z-240 strobes because they are light, small but still powerful and very sturdy, This strobes work on my Canon G12 or on my brand new
Hugyfot D800 housing flawless and i am considering to get a third one to get a wider spread when using the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye.

I agree with AussieByron's explanations

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 06 October 2012 - 07:33 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website