10 replies to this topic

#1 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hi all.

Another video I'd love to share and I have to say the video does not do the experience justice. It was amazing diving with these sharks. I am looking for the excuse to get back there as quickly as possible to do it again!! Rodney Fox is a top operation!

Track is Sinnerman by Nina Simone - Felix da Housecat remix

Hope you enjoy....

[vimeohd]50522064[/vimeohd]

Edited by rramaley, 04 October 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

Great stuff Rebecca, I really must do it one year. Love the bottom cage action. Surprised to see the Smooth Stingrays
hang around while the Sharks are there, I would have assumed they would take off.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

Great video!
My trip was early June and i am still trying to edit my video!!!
Were the giant females around during your trip?
I am also planning to head back to the Neptunes, maybe during the summer season

Whats the music track in your video?

Edited by Kevster, 04 October 2012 - 05:52 AM.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#4 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Kevster, the video description says "Sinnerman by Nina Simone (Felix da Housecat remix)".

Really enjoyed your video Rebecca. In the briefing, what are the guidelines about how far you can hang out of the cage?

#5 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi - actually I edited my post after Kevster's question to reflect the track! Nick - to your question about hanging outside the cage. They don't really talk too much about it. The main cages actually make it difficult to hang outside too much though you can get creative if you choose. The little surface cage that is more open is not a typical cage for guests but designed for the scientists/ professional photo- / videographers. It is entirely up to the Rodney Fox team as to whether a person qualifies for that category - it is more risky and a person must be very vigilant. But in any case believe me when I say there is ample opportunity to get shots and footage without bars getting too much in the way.

#6 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Kevster- we had 1 smaller female on the trip. Apparently the season for them is May / June so we weren't so lucky. But I am not complaining - very happy with the 7 different sharks we saw on top and on the bottom.

#7 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Kevster- we had 1 smaller female on the trip. Apparently the season for them is May / June so we weren't so lucky. But I am not complaining - very happy with the 7 different sharks we saw on top and on the bottom.

Great song, will be looking for this on itunes.

In early June we had 17 ID sharks and a few more that were unfamiliar or could not be identified. However there were no giant females. I thought the season for the bigs sharks was Jul/Aug (Peak season). I have been following the RF trip reports on FB. It appears peak season may have peaked early this year?

Edited by Kevster, 04 October 2012 - 11:44 PM.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#8 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Great song, will be looking for this on itunes.

In early June we had 17 ID sharks and a few more that were unfamiliar or could not be identified. However there were no giant females. I thought the season for the bigs sharks was Jul/Aug (Peak season). I have been following the RF trip reports on FB. It appears peak season may have peaked early this year?

Yes they did peak early and indeed had a real dry spell during August. Apparently very unusual. Our trip (which was the 13 September trip) was the first real return of the sharks.

#9 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Great video Rebecca.
Cheers Pete.

Panasonic GH4 user

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Great work Rebecca

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#11 rramaley

rramaley

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have to give credit where it is due. It was actually Rob Stewart's use of the song in Sharkwater that led me to use it in this video. I think it is a nice balance of energy, playfulness, risk and adventure without portraying the sharks as mindless rogue killers. Took a while to decide on the appropriate track.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Great White Sharks, South Australia, Rodney Fox;