• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 manatee19

manatee19

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo columnist and contributor to Diver Magazine (Vancouver) and En Profondeur magazine (Montreal), multimedia production.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I second John's opinion on waivers in Brititsh Law countries. In Canada, we use common law and waivers have extremely limited, if any, value. Hail to the Queen!

Fellow canuck Jett and Walt's opinion on risks vs human activities are very well expressed and I share the same. A columnist wrote a few years a go that our society has become alergic to risk... which is an integral part of any endeavour.

We want people to wear helmets to ride their bikes... more so for motor bikes... instruction manuals are ridiculously overweight... thanks to the 50-page warnings that clutter their intro pages. Who needs an advice like: do not put you wet hands in the 240V outlet if you are barefoot on the ground and if the current is on....

The vast majority of people have common sense and if they dive with a reputable operator who understands what he is doing, they are simply taking a calculated risk with extremely slim chances of injury.

Unfortunately, foolishness and stupidity are very well spread throughout the population and there must be as many stupid divers and there are stupid pilots, skydivers or skiers... Mind you, a diver killed by a shark takes up a lot more media space than a skier killed by a tree... which happened to be in his way...

My $ 0,02

Michel
Michel Gilbert
www.sub-images.com

#22 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

Hey Michel,

You had both Katie and I in stitches! Well said, my friend. The world could use a little more common sense.

All the best, Jett

Jett Britnell
Jett Britnell Photographics
http://www.jettbritnell.com
http://jettbritnell.blogspot.com
Member: Ocean Artists Society (Phorographer)

Nikon D800 in Aquatica Housing, twin Sea & Sea YS-D1's.

#23 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:52 AM

Yes, and for the record, I already received a response from Ben assuring me that the article he plans to publish will be well balanced. He responded very quickly. If anyone else feels the need to contact them, their "Contact Us" page is here:

http://www.undercurr...w/contact.shtml

Mike

Just a quick update to this. I got a note last night from Undercurrent letting me know that the article was now posted online and in the April issue. The note eve went so far as to ask fo my reaction after reading. I read through it this morning and think it is well done and let Undercurrent know that.

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#24 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

Just a quick update to this. I got a note last night from Undercurrent letting me know that the article was now posted online and in the April issue. The note eve went so far as to ask fo my reaction after reading. I read through it this morning and think it is well done and let Undercurrent know that.

Mike

I see that Jim has a schedule back up on his website; time to book a trip.
That is excellent news.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#25 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

Mike

Ditto.

I thought that, on the whole, they did an admirable job of raising/discussing all major sides of a difficult topic/event.

I'm not sure quoting me added credibility to the "pro-Jim" side of the argument, though... :D

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#26 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:01 AM

Mind you, a diver killed by a shark takes up a lot more media space than a skier killed by a tree... which happened to be in his way...

Michel

Is the human interference in planting trees affecting their natural behaviour? Are more skiers being killed by rogue trees because more people are planting them? My goodness, I've just realised my garden is full of trees! Never mind - I'll take the risk. Not much snow in Teddington at the moment anyway!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?